Subject league tables
History of Art at Glasgow
Studying with us means world-leading art scholars will be your teachers.
Our staff are experts in all major European art historical periods. From Antiquity, the Middle-Ages and Renaissance, to Romanticism, Realism, Modernism, and contemporary Art.
We also have specialist knowledge in:
- the decorative art and design of the 19th-20th century
- textile conservation
- technical art history
- dress and textile histories
- Chinese art
Studying at Glasgow also means you'll be living in a city renowned for its inspirational and diverse art scene.
We have an art gallery on campus and collaborative links with Glasgow museums. As a result, you will gain hands-on experience and develop many practical skills as part of your programme.
Our extensive resources include:
- The University Library and Archives
- The Hunterian - the University's museum and art gallery which features the world famous Hunter, Whistler and Mackintosh Collections
- Kelvin Hall - the University and city's innovative collections-access centre
Partnership & Industry links
The University has major, externally funded collaborative research projects with other national institutions, including:
- The National Gallery, London
- The Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- The Smithsonian Institution and the Freer Art Gallery, Washington, DC
- The Prado, Madrid