Postgraduate research opportunities
The University provides a highly stimulating study environment with access to world-renowned collections in one of the most inspirational cities for art and design in the UK.
We offer the following research study options: PhD, MLitt and MPhil.
Areas available for research supervision include:
- European art historical periods, especially Medieval, Renaissance, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th centuries, and contemporary
- Modernist studies, particularly Dada and Surrealism, and 19th-century avant-gardes including Whistler, Impressionism and fin-de-siècle
- Chinese art and culture
- Art theory, particularly gender and post-1945
- Collecting practices, collections, the art market, museums and curatorial practices, and technical art history
- Material culture studies, particularly decorative art; and design history, including the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh
- Dress and textile histories
- Textile conservation and textile conservation science
- Law and ethics approaches to cultural heritage
- Art law and business.