Visiting electives in Medicine
Visiting electives in Medicine
Thank you for your interest in the University of Glasgow Visiting Medical Electives Programme.
The University of Glasgow Medical School welcomes applications from UK, EU and International medical students for elective placements within University of Glasgow teaching hospitals. Electives are an important element of undergraduate medical training and we will endeavour to help students from other medical schools (in their penultimate or final year) to obtain an elective opportunity in a department of their choice.
We regret that the University of Glasgow Medical School does not participate in the Erasmus exchange programme.
WE HAVE REACHED FULL CAPACITY AND WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FOR 2019. (If your application was submitted before 27 February 2019, it will still be considered.)
January 2020 = Limited
February 2020 = Good
March 2020 = Applications for March 2020 onwards will be open later this year.
General application information
Those interested in applying for an elective placement should note the following:
- A non-refundable application fee of £150 is payable at the time of application.
- Students must be studying at a medical school that is listed on the World Directory of Medical Schools (http://search.wdoms.org/) to be considered for a placement.
- Receipt of an application does not guarantee an offer of placement as placements are limited.
- Department availability depends on the popularity of your chosen speciality and on the number of consultants available to provide supervision. We cannot guarantee first choice of speciality.
- Electives are offered for a period of 4-6 weeks starting on the first Monday of any given month and must be within one department only. We are often asked by students to provide an 8 week placement: We cannot consider requests for longer or shorter attachments or in more than one department.
- Applications must be received at least 5 months prior to the proposed elective start date.
- It is essential for all medical elective students from outside of the EU/EEA to obtain a Short Term Study Visa and comply with the Undergraduate Medicine International English language requirements.
- All incoming elective students are required to be covered by medical malpractice insurance for the duration of their elective. Proof of indemnity/malpractice insurance must be presented to the Electives Secretary before a placement commences. The Medical School cannot advise on insurance matters.
- Please note that the University has Teaching Hospitals all over Scotland, including Glasgow, Ayr and Dumfries. Please make sure to book accommodation near your placement as specified in your Offer Letter.
How to apply
To apply for a medical elective at a University of Glasgow teaching hospital, an application form must be completed and submitted via the Direct Admissions System at least 5 months, but not more than 12 months prior to the proposed elective start date.
Should you wish to apply, you can access the application form, instructions for applying online via the Direct Admissions System, guidance notes and department list below.
- Medical Elective Application Form
- Instructions for Applying Online
- Guidance Notes
- List of Departments
The University requires an application fee of £150 per application to be paid by all applicants (Home, EU and International applicants) who are applying for a Visiting Medical Elective through the University of Glasgow Medical School. The application fee will be requested when you apply online and it can be paid using your credit or debit bank card.
Terms and Conditions
The application fee is non-refundable so it is important that you check any specific entry requirements for the programme you are applying to: see our Guidance Notes.
Applicants who are part of the U21 scheme, or are part of an agreed exchange programme with the Medical School may have their application fee waived. Please email the Visiting Medical Electives Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) for instructions on how to apply without paying the application fee. We can accept a limited number of U21 applicants per year so be sure to send your certificate in promptly.
If you have any further queries, please contact:
Ms Steph Sutherland
0141 330 4448