Dr Roisin Buckley
- Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering (Infrastructure & Environment)
- 2014-2018: PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, Imperial College London
- 2013-2014: MSc in Soil Mechanics, Imperial College London
- 2003-2007: B.E. (Hons) Civil Engineering, National University of Ireland Galway
- 2021-now: Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering, University of Glasgow
- 2021-now: Visiting Fellow in Engineering, University of Oxford
- 2019-2021: Ørsted REMS CDT Departmental Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering, University of Oxford
- 2007-2013: Geotechnical Engineer, AGL (Ireland), CES, GHD (Australia)
Dr Róisín Buckley completed an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering at the National University of Ireland, Galway in 2007 and an MSc in Soil Mechanics at Imperial College London in 2014. She spent the interim working in industry as a geotechnical engineer in Ireland and Australia. She completed her PhD in Imperial College and spent one year there as a postdoctoral research associate. She moved to the University of Oxford in 2019 and spent two years there as the Ørsted REMS CDT Departmental Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering. In 2021 she took up her current position as Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering at University of Glasgow. She also holds a position as a Visiting Fellow in Engineering at Oxford.
Róisín’s main research field is experimental geotechnics, with a particular focus on field pile testing, cyclic loading effects, high strain dynamic pile testing, site characterisation and laboratory experiments. Her research aims to understand the mechanics of and improve the design of foundations for onshore and offshore applications .
Two recent joint industry projects in which her research has played a key role:
- Rationalising offshore wind-turbine pile design and assurance in difficult ground
- ALPACA: Axial-Lateral Pile Analysis for Chalk Applying multi-scale field and laboratory testing
The projects have advanced the understanding of displacement pile behaviour in chalk under a range of loading conditions.
Mrs Sarah Martin (Wolfson College, Oxford / Ørsted). Cyclic loading of monopile foundations. Commenced 2018
Please contact me if you are interested in general geotechnical research at Glasgow.