Dr Alena Kostyk
- Senior Lecturer (Management)
Dr Kostyk received her MBA from Michigan State University and her PhD from New Mexico State University in the United States. She worked as an Assistant Professor of Marketing at NEOMA Business School in France.
Her primary research projects focus on human decision making in the new, futuristic environments and marketplaces, both from the theoretical and empirical perspective. Her secondary research area lies within innovative research methodology.
Dr Kostyk’s work appears in academic outlets such as the Journal of Business Research, European Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Market Research, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Journal of Macromarketing among others.
Prior to academia, she spent nearly 10 years working in the private sector. These professional experiences serve as an excellent source for research ideas and provide her with relevant classroom examples.
You can find Dr Kostyk on Instagram
CV: Alena Kostyk (pdf)
Dr Kostyk is a member of the School's Marketing research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Consumer decision making/consumer behaviour in technology-enhanced environments
- Quantitative methodology of consumer research
Particularly interested in supervising PhD students willing to research consumer behaviour and decision-making in the technology-enhanced environments (e.g., virtual and augmented reality).
- Marketing management
- Marketing strategy
- Consumer behaviour
- Digital marketing
- UX Design
- Marketing communications
- Brand management
- Marketing research
- Green marketing
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2019: Most Innovative Research Paper (Global Brand Conference (Academy of Marketing SIG))
- 2020 - 2021: Guest Editor, International Journal of Market Research
- 2018 - 2019: Guest Editor, European Journal of Marketing
- 2020: Editorial review board, Basic and Applied Social Psychology
Selected international presentations
- 2019: Future of Brands conference (Columbia University, New York, USA)
Dr Kostyk serves as an Associate Editor for the International Journal of Market Research, as well as an ERB member for Basic and Applied Social Psychology, and an ad hoc reviewer for multiple journals, such as the Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, among others.
In 2020-21, Dr Kostyk served as a guest editor for a special issue of the International Journal of Market Research and a guest editor for a special issue of the Basic and Applied Social Psychology.
Knowledge Exchange (KE) projects
Alena’s knowledge exchange strategy builds on proactive business engagement. She has worked in the US, France and Scotland. At each business school, she engaged with local businesses for teaching and research.
Her collaboration with INTERFACE, local museums and content producers for her knowledge exchange project Engagement with a 'digital tourist' via VR marketing, led to a change in their company marketing practices and marketing outcomes. This included an increase to their customer engagement on social media and new strategy and tactics developed to enhance their digital platforms. The project also contributed to the economic well-being of the organisation’s local communities.
- Scottish Digital Tourist: Aims to reshape engagement with a ‘digital tourist’ for the Scottish Tourism and Hospitality Sectors
- Scottish Community Tourism (SCOTO): Leading two workshops on What's The Fuss About the Metaverse Buzz and How Social Media & Technology Can Support Community Tourism
- Deep Vision Studios: A new project with two industry partners, St Giles cathedral and Deep Vision