A woman holding a book looks at ancient temple ruins

Endless opportunities to expand your knowledge of art and cultural heritage markets… All while travelling, and growing your global network.

Visa requirements

MAGMa: General Visa Advice

Students who are citizens of EU countries do not require a visa to study in Portugal, France or the Netherlands.

However, students may be required to register with the local police department upon arrival so students should check requirements carefully for each of their mobility periods, to enable a smooth move to their next mobility period.

EU citizens are not required to register with the police in the UK.

Students from outside the EU: please ensure that you research visa application requirements for all of your mobility periods, including summer schools, and allow plenty of time to apply for each of your visas throughout the programme.

You should refer to the EU immigration portal, where visa information is displayed for both short and long stays. 

Please also visit University of Glasgow International support pages.

The details below will provide more information about the partner-specific visa arrangements. Please note these regulations can change regularly and can differ depending on individual circumstances.

Further information will be sent out prior to the start of the programme.

ISCTE & FLUL – Portugal

Students from countries outside the European Union and the European Economic Area need a study visa before entering Portugal.

As your studies will begin in Lisbon, Portugal, ISCTE-IUL will issue you an admissions letter to be taken to your visa application appointment.  Please refer to their guidance on visa and residence permit applications.

If you have any enquiries relating to your visa application for Lisbon please contact eduardo.rodrigues@iscte-iul.pt or

The study visa must be requested at a Portuguese embassy or consular post in the country of origin. It is suggested that students apply for a study visa at least one-two months before their departure to Portugal. As mentioned above, to accompany your study visa application, you must include the admissions letter from ISCTE-IUL, which states that you have been admitted to take part in a master programme at ISCTE-IUL, as well as the duration of your stay, and fees.

Please note: During Semester 1 in Lisbon, it is likely you will need to travel twice to the French Consultate in Madrid for your French visa for Semester 2. Firstly, to complete your visa interview and secondly to collect your visa after it has been approved. Any person who is a legal resident in Spain, Andorra or Portugal, must go to the French Consulate in Madrid in order to apply for the visa. The Madrid French Consulate is the only one in the Iberian Peninsula that has a visa department. 


IESA Arts & Culture Paris – France

EU Applicants

  • Students who are citizens of EU countries do not require a visa to study in France. 
  • EU citizens are not required to register with the Police in France.

Non-EU Applicants

IMPORTANT: During Semester 1 in Lisbon, it is likely you will need to travel twice to the French Consultate in Madrid for your French visa for Semester 2. Firstly, to complete your visa interview and secondly to collect your visa after it has been approved. Any person who is a legal resident in Spain, Andorra or Portugal, must go to the French Consulate in Madrid in order to apply for the visa. The Madrid French Consulate is the only one in the Iberian Peninsula that has a visa department. 

In France, non-EU students have a choice between two visas:

The VLS-T étudiant visa (“Student Temporary Long Term” visa) allows to stay in France for four to twelve months and travel freely in countries included in the Schengen Area. They benefit from the French social security system (after their registration at IESA Arts and Culture) during their stay, which partially reimburses health expenses. You don’t need to validate a VLS-T in a “préfecture” at your arrival and there is no process to follow during the visa validity period. But it doesn't allow you to work during your studies, benefit from VISALE (the free rental deposit service for students), receive housing subsidy with the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales), or extend your stay beyond the validity of issued residence permits.

On the other hand, the VLS-TS student visa (“Long Term Visa used as Residence Permit” or Visa Long Séjour valant Titre de Séjour “étudiant”) also allows to study in France for a period of four months to one year but it must be validated upon arrival in France. It entitles the holder to travel freely in all the countries of the Schengen Area; work 964 hours per year, i.e. 20 hours per week, to supplement their financial resources; use the VISALE (the free security deposit service for students), receive a rental subsidy from the CAF(Caisse d'Allocations Familiales), extend their stay beyond the period of validity of the issued residence permit.

If you live in one of the 46 countries of the “Studies in France” process and you need a visa to come to study in France, you must complete your registration application in higher education beforehand on the “Studies in France” platform. You visa application will automatically be transferred to the French consular authorities in your country of residence through this platform.

For Erasmus Mundus scholarship students, IESA Arts and Culture will provide a Confirmation of Funding letter alongside the official confirmation of the scholarship to help with proof of funding required for visa applications.

Find out more: France Visas: the official visa website for France


Erasmus University Rotterdam – The Netherlands

EU Applicants

There is no visa requirement for citzens of EU countries. 

Non-EU Applicants

International Students coming from outside the EU/EEA who are going to study at Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) for more than 90 days will need to apply for an entry visa and/or a Dutch residence permit. Check the website to see if you need a visa or residence permit.

Once students are registered in Studielink, the Immigration Desk of the Erasmus University Rotterdam will send students more information about the application procedure for visa and/or residence permit. Please note the following:

  • Before EUR starts the immigration application, students must be able to provide documented proof that they have sufficient financial means to cover their studies. The amount stated in the invoice needs to be transferred to the EUR bank account (refundable) or if students receive a scholarship, they need to upload their scholarship letter
  • Students may send in a letter that confirms the payment of the tuition fee to University of Glasgow or a scholarship letter;
  • The immigration fee (€ 210 euros);
  • The costs of living in the Netherlands (approx € 975 for every month of your stay in the Netherlands)
  • Students must provide translations by a certified translator (e.g. notary) for all documents that are not in Dutch, English, French or German;
  • Students agree to tuberculosis testing if required (see our website for a list of countries that are exempted), and if needed treatment, upon arrival in the Netherlands;
  • Students must not have a criminal record;
  • Chinese students: must have obtained a Nuffic certificate;
  • Once the visa and/or residence permit application has been completed, it takes about 3-5 weeks before students should expect to receive a response. 

University of Glasgow - UK

If you are an international student (including EU/EEA nationals) you will be required to apply for either a Student Route Visa (valid for the full duration of the programme) or a Standard Visitor Visa (valid for one semester only) for the UK. Please see the International Student Support pages for detailed guidance on the application process.

Student Route visa

You will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University of Glasgow in order for you to make a Student Route visa application. We will issue CAS to all international students who have received and accepted an unconditional offer, normally from three months prior to the start of the programme. For Erasmus Mundus scholarship students, we will provide a Confirmation of Funding letter to help with proof of funding required for visa applications. This will be provided at around the same time you receive your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter from the University Admissions Team. Visa processing times are usually around three weeks.

Standard Visitor visa

If you want to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa we will issue a letter of support. Please note that a Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for one semester. If you intend to return to the UK at any other point during the programme you would be required to make another visa application.

If you intend to come to the UK on a Standard Visitor visa, please note that non-visa nationals do not need to apply for this in advance; however, are required to show certain documentation and have their passport stamped when going through immigration control on entry to the UK. Please be aware that if you enter the UK using the eGates at immigration control, or travel to the UK via Dublin, you should retain your flight details or boarding pass to show to Compliance at the University as proof of your date of entry to the UK. You can check if you are a visa national for the UK here (please choose study and 6 months or less as the duration).

Student Responsibilities Under Student Route Visas

If the University of Glasgow has issued you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to obtain your student visa for the UK, the University must comply with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) regulations regarding attendance monitoring and absence reporting as well as checking that you have the necessary documentation and permission allowing you to undertake study in the UK. You will therefore have to register at the appointed time; provide appropriate documents, e.g. passport, UK biometric ID card; ensure that you attend your course and if you can’t, make sure that your School knows why you are not attending; etc. For full details of these responsibilities please refer to the important information on the Immigration Compliance pages.

Please also see the UKCISA Protecting your Student status information.

Student Route vs Standard Visitor visa

When deciding whether to choose the Student Route or Standard Visitor visa, please note that if you have to make any subsequent visa applications from within the UK, some Embassies will only accept applications from students who have a Student Route visa.

If you need any advice on any of these matters please check our International Student Support information or contact the International Student Support Team.