Training and Routes
Cycling training is available from several organisations in Glasgow, and is suitable for all abilities - whether you are a complete beginner, not cycled for a long time, or are looking for a confidence boost for road cycling. Options include
From time to time the University will also arrange training.
The University expects that users of the free OVO bike memberships have the necessary skill and ability to use bicycles safely on the road.
If you want to refresh your skills or increase on-road confidence, try out Cycling Scotland's 'Essential Cycling Skills' app.
To find and plan your own cycle routes, there are several online journey planners available.
Please find a selection below.
- Glasgow City Council's Cycling Information Map shows the locations of on-street bike facilities.
- Glasgow Avenues are an exciting Glasgow wide project which re-designs a number of Glasgow roads to make them more people-friendly; they normally include segregated bicycle lanes.
- The University has developed a 'Cycle Safely!' map for the Gilmorehill area to help to navigate on-campus on-way streets.
Gilmorehill Campus <-> Garscube Campus
- Overview of Recommended cycle route from Gilmorehill Campus to Garscube Campus
- Route map with cycling facilities on Gilmorehill Campus
- Route map with cycling facilities on Garscube Campus
- Cycling routes ON Garscube Campus
- Cycling from Gilmorehill Campus to Garscube Campus - YouTube video
- Cycling from Garscube Campus to Gilmorehill Campus - YouTube video
Gilmorehill Campus <-> Berkeley Square/Tay House <-> Olympia Building
- Recommended cycle route Gilmorehill Campus - Tay House (pdf)
- Recommended cycle route Tay House - Gilmorehill Campus (pdf)
Both routes pass by Berkeley Square and are chosen for mainly segregated cycle paths, such as on Elderslie Street, Claremont Street and Berkeley Street, and through Kelvingrove Park. They differ due to one-way systems.
The nearest OVObike hire stations for Tay House is at Mitchell Library, Kent Road (station number 8425) and for Gilmorehill hire station at University Avenue, Wolfson Medical School (station number 8422)