Glasgow University Athletics Club (GUAC) is one of the university's oldest sports clubs. We are also one of the most successful, having won the Scottish University Championships for 10 years in a row!
With athletes training and competing in sprints, middle distance, jumps and throws we really do cater for all events and abilities.
Our members range from complete beginners to the sport to BUCS Champions and international athletes. Recent club alumni include Scottish International high jumper Nikki Manson and Olympic Silver Medallist Laura Muir.
Whatever your previous experience, you'll be made to feel more than welcome at GUAC!
We offer a good range of competitive opportunities for all athletes. We also have many social opportunities week-to-week as well as our popular getaways such as our annual training weekend and warm weather training.
We usually take big squads to the SAA Indoor and Outdoor Championships (February and April respectively) which offers a wide level of competition. A smaller group also travel to the BUCS Indoor and Outdoor Championships around the same time.
We train at the coveted Scotstoun athletics track – this facility allows us to take part in all events across athletics.
We also offer Studio 1 (Stevenson Building) sessions as part of the athletics club. These sessions allow us to build on our strength and conditioning using the gym.
- See Club Sport Training Timetable for training times
Glasgow University Endurance Running Academy
Athletes who are competing at a high level of middle and/or long distance track, cross country, road and mountain running, or believe they have the potential to do so, may be interested in the Glasgow University Running Academy.
This is a dedicated seven-day-a-week programme, whereby students will have a full-time coached programme and be provided with other support services (for example, strength and conditioning, nutrition and performance lifestyle).
In order to be involved in the academy, students will be required to meet or be close to meeting performance standards of:
- Men's 800m = 2.00
- Men's 1500m = 4.07
- Women's 800m = 2.17
- Women's 1500m = 4.42
If you would like more information about this, please contact Norrie Hay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: August 2023
How to Join
Joining a GU Sports Club is a simple, three-step process:
- Join UofG Sport with one of these three memberships only:
- Student Sport 12-month Full-Access (£170)
- Student Sport Semester Full-Access (£99)
- Student Sport Accommodation 12-month Full-Access (£120)*
- Contact the Club about what membership type you should select (if you're unsure) or if you have any questions
- Use the Club Management Portal to join the Club online
You'll need your UofG Sport Member ID to join a Club. Here's where to find your Member ID.
* Discounted Accommodation membership is only available to students living in UofG Accommodation, and is not available for online purchase – please join at Front Desk at the Stevenson Building.