Information for LGBT+ Students

Students at a Library PC cluster

Useful information on University policy, support and contacts are shown below

Check out this year's events to celebrate LGBT History Month on the University's EVENTS PAGE.  Search LGBT History

GULGBTQ+ Students' Society


GULGBTQ+ – The Glasgow University Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Queer + is a students’ society formed to provide an open and welcoming space for people under the LGBTQ+ banner (the banner includes people from outside the acronym; moreover, the society welcomes everyone from every background). It provides both a welfare and social space so that people can get to know each other.

LGBT+ Network

LGBT+ Network

LGBT+ staff and PhD students are welcomed by the University of Glasgow Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender + Network. The Network was one of the first in Higher Education in Scotland. The network can:

  • provide a welcoming environment to meet regularly for social events; 
  • provide a space for the safe discussion of LGBT+ issues; 
  • provide information about relevant LGBT+ events within and outwith the University.
  • inform University policy with respect to LGBT equality and inclusion; representatives attend the Gender and Sexual Diversity Equality Group.

LGBT+ Equality Group

The University's LGBT+ Equality Group is chaired by the LGBT+ Equality Champion; and has student and staff representation. The group acts as a channel of communication where issues affecting LGBT+ people can be raised and addressed or referred to appropriate bodies for action.

LGBTQ+ Honorary Chaplain

The University has appointed the Reverend Linda Haggerstone as its first LGBTQ+ Chaplain.

Her message to the LGBTQ+ community at the University is simple: “I want LGBTQ+ students and staff to know there is someone there to listen, whether they are coming out or experiencing difficulty at work, with their studies, relationships or finding social activities. I want them to know that someone cares about them and will point them in the right direction. I am connected with a lot of different communities so we will find ways to help. I’d like to offer them hope that they will find a little more joy in their lives at least. Because I identify with the community and am not an outsider, I believe I understand the issues.”

Contact Details:
LGBTQ+ Honorary Chaplain
Rev Linda Haggerstone
Mobile : +44 (0) 07585 852 627
Email :

Changing your name or gender

Transitioning while at University?
You can change your Primary name and/or gender in the main University's student MyCampus records (*see below) by making a request to the University’s Student Services Enquiry Team (SSET). To verify your identity, you will be asked for identification in your new chosen name or gender. If you cannot provide this, you will be able to make a declaration in writing using a Declaration Form, obtainable from SSET.

A change to your Primary Name on MyCampus will then also change your personal details for the purposes of your degree certificate, home address/contact information, enrolment with your College, School or Research Institute,  your student identification and email.

Note that using a different version of your name on your degree certificate to that shown on other forms of identification may cause you difficulties in future. You are responsible for making changes to other forms of identification.

The University’s Student Services Enquiry Team will not share information about your name or gender change on your behalf.

We have prepared a Transaction Action Plan that may help you identify who you may want to inform about your new name or gender. If you would like help to inform anyone about a name or gender change you can contact your Adviser of Studies. If you are a Postgraduate Research student, your supervisor or another member of staff of your choice will be able to assist you. 

The action plan and information can be found in the University’s Equality and Diversity Policy: Appendix E.

Advice and support is also available for transgender students from the GULGBTQ+ Students' Society or the LGBT+ Network for Postgraduate students. 

*Not 'out' at home but want to use your preferred name at University? 
Simply add the name you wish to be known by at the University to the 'Preferred Name' field in your student MyCampus profile. This will then update all relevant systems, without affecting your Primary name in your MyCampus records. From the start of session 2020/2021 this includes your Student ID card.

Please note this will NOT change your degree certificate. 

If the 'Preferred Name' field in MyCampus is completed after an ID card has already been issued using the Primary name, the normal replacement charge will be applied if a student wishes a new card.  

If you need help with this, contact the Student Services Enquiry Team

*International student holding a student visa in your birth name and/or gender?
For UK Visas and Immigration purposes, the University must keep your primary MyCampus records the same as your identity shown on your student Visa. However, you can amend the name you wish to use within the University by completing the 'Preferred Name' field in your student MyCampus profile. This will then update all relevant systems, without affecting your Primary MyCampus record. From the start of session 2020/2021 this includes your Student ID card.

Please note this will NOT change your degree certificate. 

If the 'Preferred Name' field in MyCampus is completed after an ID card has already been issued using the Primary name, the normal replacement charge will be applied if a student wishes a new card. 

If you need help with this, contact the Student Services Enquiry Team

Data Protection Statement
The information you provide will be used for the purpose of amending your student record details on MyCampus. The University will not notify Schools/Institute/College Administration of a change in name or gender.

There may be instances where the University is required to share your personal and sensitive personal data with third parties for statutory or regulatory reporting purposes. For further details on how the University processes your personal data can be found in s.3 of the University Calendar

Going abroad as part of your studies?

Make sure you know what to expect before you make your choice.  You can do some research by using these external websites.  Although these external sources are reputable, please use this information with caution.

FCO's LGBT Foreign Travel Advice (with external resoucre links)

FCO's Foreign Travel Advice  - for the latest travel advice by country including safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings and health.  Find the country you are considering visiting, and click on the 'Local Laws and Customs' link. 

International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association - Every year, ILGA produces maps on Gay and Lesbian rights in the world as well as its State Sponsored Homophobia report. You can download them from their site. 

Transgender Support Groups have contact details for many global support grpups.

AIG have developed a page for LGBTQ Travel Safety Tips.

Check out the latest University's Pre-Departure Guide for students going abroad as part of their studies.

Equality and Diversity Policy

Pronouns and LGBTQ+ Terminology


What is a pronoun?
Words used to refer to or by people talking (I or you) or when someone or something that is being talked about (she, he, it, them, and they).

Gender pronouns (for example he/she) specifically refer to people that you are talking about. Some people may prefer others to refer to them in gender neutral language and use pronouns such as they/their and ze/zir.

OK, so what's a Gender Neutral Pronoun?
A gender neutral or gender inclusive pronoun is a pronoun which does not associate a gender with the individual who is being discussed.

Gender-neutral pronouns are helpful because they allow you to speak to and about individuals without making what might be incorrect assumptions about their gender identity. Using gender-neutral pronouns allows you to include all people when you speak, and encourages others to do the same.

What are some commonly used pronouns?
She/her/hers and he/him/his are a few commonly used pronouns. Some people may chose to use they/them/their.  People will be familiar using these words to refer to groups, but they can also be used to refer to a singular person instead of he/him/his or she/her/hers.  

For example: "They (meaning just Ashley) emailed over all the information you need" or "Ashley sent their notes around before the class" and "Ashley needs that report, can you print it off for them?"

Find other examples of pronouns at

How do I ask someone what pronouns they use?
Asking and correctly using someone’s pronouns is one of the most basic ways to show your respect for their gender identity. If you are unsure of a colleague's or student's preferred pronoun, first and foremost you should listen, both to them and any others close to the individual who may use the correct pronouns.  If in doubt, respectively ask which pronoun the person uses.

Try asking: “What pronouns do you use?” or “Can you remind me what pronouns you use?” It can feel awkward at first, but it is not half as awkward as making an assumption.

If you are asking as part of an introduction exercise and you want to quickly explain what gender pronouns are, you can try something like this: “Tell us your name, where you come from, and your pronouns. That means the pronouns that you use in reference to yourself."

What if I make a mistake?
It’s okay! Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. The best thing to do, if you use the wrong pronoun for someone, is to say something right away, like “Sorry, I meant (insert pronoun)”

If you realise your mistake after the fact, apologise in private and move on.  It can be tempting to go on and on about how bad you feel that you made the mistake or how hard it is for you to get it right. Please don’t! It is inappropriate and makes the person who was misgendered feel awkward and responsible for comforting you.

Why is it important to respect people’s pronouns?
When someone is referred to with the wrong pronoun, it can make them feel disrespected, invalidated, dismissed, and alienated.  Repeated and purposefully using an incorrect pronoun however, constitutes bullying and harassment.

What can I do to make it easier for others, even if I use the more commonly used pronouns?
1. Indicating your preferred pronouns in your email signature helps to normalise an action that makes it easier for transgender and non-binary members of our community to express themselves. It also helps other people feel confident that they are addressing you, as you wish them to. 

2. You may hear one of your students or colleagues using the wrong pronoun for someone. In most cases, it is appropriate to gently correct them without further embarrassing the individual who has been misgendered. This means saying something like “Alex uses the pronoun she,” and then moving on.

3.  If others are consistently using the wrong pronouns for someone, do not ignore it. It is important to let those who have been misgendered know that you are their ally.  It may be appropriate to approach the individual who has been misgendered and say something like “I noticed that you were being referred to with the wrong pronoun earlier, and I know that can be really hurtful. Would you be okay with me taking them aside and reminding them about your pronouns?” Follow up if necessary, but take your cues from the comfort level of the individual. Your actions will be greatly appreciated. 



There are a wide range of words and terms that people may use to describe themselves, their identity, and their experience. It is important to note that the language and terminology used is constantly evolving and shifting, as communities and individuals develop new ways to articulate their identities and experiences. 

Gay: Refers to a man who has a romantic and/or sexual orientation towards men. Also a generic term for lesbian and gay sexuality - some women define themselves as gay rather than lesbian.

Lesbian: Refers to a woman who has a romantic and/or sexual orientation towards women.

Bi: Bi is an umbrella term used to describe a romantic and/or sexual orientation towards more than one gender. Bi people may describe themselves using one or more of a wide variety of terms, including, but not limited to, bisexual, pan, queer, and other non-monosexual identities.

Homosexual: This might be considered a more medical term used to describe someone who has a romantic and/or sexual orientation towards someone of the same gender. The term ‘gay’ is now more generally used.

Cis or Cisgender: Someone whose gender identity is the same as the sex they were assigned at birth. Non-trans is also used by some people.

Gender Identity: A person’s innate sense of their own gender, whether male, female or something else (see non-binary below), which may or may not correspond to the sex assigned at birth.

Gender Expression: How a person chooses to outwardly express their gender, within the context of societal expectations of gender. A person who does not confirm to societal expectations of gender may not, however, identify as trans. 

Intersex: A term used to describe a person who may have the biological attributes of both sexes or whose biological attributes do not fit with societal assumptions about what constitutes male or female.  Intersex people may identify as male, female or non-binary.

Queer: In the past a derogatory term for LGBT individuals. The term has now been reclaimed by LGBT young people in particular, who don’t identify with specific categories around gender identity and sexual orientation.  Please note though, this term should not be used to describe anyone unless you specificaly know they use it to describe themselves.

Questioning: The process of exploring your own sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

Trans: This was the term most commonly used by participants to describe their status, identity or experience. 'Trans' quite literally means to go beyond or across, and its use in this context originates from the words 'transgender' and 'transsexual' - to traverse gender and / or sex. 'Trans' generally functions as an umbrella term to describe the experience / status of being a different gender from the gender assigned at birth.

  • Trans woman is an identity term used by some women who were assigned male at birth. Some people also use MtF (male-to-female) to describe their experience / identity. Likewise, some people use the term trans feminine to describe their experience / identity of being a trans person who was assigned male at birth, but does not solely identify as a woman.
  • Trans man is an identity term used by some men who were assigned female at birth. Some people also use FtM (female-to-male) to describe their experience. Likewise, some people use the term trans masculine to describe their experience / identity of being a trans person who was assigned female at birth, but does not solely identify as a man.

Non-Binary: Describes identities that do not fit into the man/woman binary. Other terms include genderqueer and genderfluid.

Transgender: Similarly to 'trans', transgender also describes the experience / status of being a different gender from the gender assigned at birth. Increasingly, the short-form term - 'trans' - seems to be preferred and used most widely.

Transsexual: This term is sometimes used by people who change, or intend to change, aspects of their bodily sex. Whilst 'transsexual' has somewhat fallen out of popular usage in the UK, this term is still an important means for many people to articulate their experience. 'Transsexual' is not a derogatory term when used as self-identification, yet the term is not necessarily favoured or used by everyone.

Person of trans experience is sometimes used by people to denote that they have or have had a trans/transgender/transsexual experience, but this is not central to their identity. Similarly, person with a trans history is sometimes used by people who have had a trans/transgender/transsexual experience, and regard this as just another factor of their history, life and experience.

Agender and no gender are terms used by some people to describe feeling outside of or without gender. 

* References:

Replacement Degree Certificate/Parchment

It is not normally possible to amend your name on your degree certificate unless:

  • An administrative error has occurred and has been notified to the Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of graduation.
  • A change is required under the Gender Reassignment provisions of the Equality Act 2010. Please make your request in writing, to Graduation, Registry, Fraser Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, or by email to To verify your identity, Registry will ask for official identification in your new chosen name, such as deed poll, passport, or drivers licence.   

If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or educational institution that your degree certificate belongs to you, you will need to show supporting documentation showing the name change to your prospective employer.

Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion Programme

The University of Glasgow is proud to be a Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion. As a Diversity Champion we have access to best practice in policy and procedure development, networking opportunities with other organisations; an opportunity to bench mark ourselves against competitors, displaying our commitment to equality for LGBT students, staff and potential students and staff.

Stonewall Diversity Champion Logo White