Supporting Care Leavers, Care Experienced or Estranged Students

Care Leavers or Care Experienced

If you have leaving care, have previously spent time in care or are an estranged student there is a range of support and provision we can offer you.

This could include year round accommodation, and a University of Glasgow Care Leaver Bursary.  You will also receive tailored advice and support from our Care Leaver Support Coordinator.

You may also be eligible for the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) Care Experienced Students Bursary

For more information about the support we can offer, contact our Care Leaver Support Coordinator.

Make sure you also speak to your keyworker, social worker or aftercare team about what support your local authority could provide. Some local authorities will offer support for you whilst you’re in full time education, up until the age of 25.  Ask to see a copy of their policy on the provision of financial support for care leavers.

Support for Estranged Students

Estranged students are young people studying without the support of a family network, due to a breakdown in those relationships. Individuals in this position often have no contact at all with their family, or sporadic and conflictual contact.

The University of Glasgow signed the StandAlone Pledge in 2016, and we are proud to work in partnership with StandAlone, an organisation that supports and advocates on behalf of estranged students.

So, if you are estranged from family and are thinking of applying to the University of Glasgow, or the further support the University can offer if you are already studying here, please contact the dedicated points of contact