Disability Co-ordinators

How we can help students

We can help:

  • Any disabled Undergraduate or Postgraduate student (including those with specific learning difficulties like dyslexia),
  • University staff who have a disability or who have a query about a disabled student,
  • Any prospective disabled student and /or their parent(s) or next of kin if the student is a "vulnerable adult".

To get support, disabled students must:

  • Make an appointment for a face to face appointment with a Disability Adviser,
  • Provide the Disability Service with written professional evidence of their disability/or specific learning difficulty (e.g. GP letter or Educational Psychologist’s assessment). If a student has difficulties obtaining evidence this can be discussed in the interview. A student can only register with the service if evidence of a disability can be provided.

When a student disclosed a disability/condition at registration but has not been to the Disability Service:

Students are responsible for self referring to the Disability Service and attending an appointment with an adviser. When a student ticks the disability box on MyCampus registration, they are sent an invitation to attend for an interview with a Disability Adviser at the Disability Service.

If the student ignores this invitation then we will assume that they do not wish to have any support on course and no support provisions will be made. They will have no MyCampus disability entry and the Disability Co-ordinators in their departments will not know about them.

No disabled student can get support at this University without:

  • Referring themselves to the Disability Service,
  • Having a needs assessment interview with a Disability Adviser
  • Signing an explicit Data Protection statement allowing information to be passed on to their academic departments via MyCampus 

Students who do not come to our service should not expect ad hoc, piecemeal or reactive support to be arranged by individuals within the University. The ethos of good practice is that anticipatory, pro-active support arrangements are made which are evidence-based, fair to other non-disabled students and reasonable for the University staff to implement.

The purpose of registration with our service is so that disclosure is formally acknowledged, support is agreed and co-ordinated and all relevant parties/stake-holders have been informed with the explicit consent of the student.

Exam arrangements:

Find out about exam arrangements for disabled students

Use of a PC in exams:

There is a computer cluster on Level 7 of the Library for use during exam diets by disabled students. This is administered by John Buchanan (IT Services) in liaison with Registry, but invigilation remains the responsibility of the School.

Access on campus

Physical access:

Students/visitors with mobility difficulties:

Disabled parking:

If enquirer is a Blue Badge holder refer them directly to Gatehouse (Central Services). If not a Blue Badge holder, but claims to have a disability requiring a parking space on campus, please refer them to Disability Service.

Assisted evacuation

If the student is ambulant the School staff have a responsibility to ensure that all disabled students in their building are assisted when evacuating the building:

  • If the student needs an evacuation chair to exit the building, contact Central Services on +44 (0) 141 330 4444. Central Services staff have received training in the use of the evacuation chair.
  • The student should be taken to the nearest refuge area to await assistance. This area is usually in the stairwell area.
  • The tutor, lecturer or member of School staff should remain with the student until help has arrived.


Contact Emergency and Crisis Support

Assistive technology

Assistive Technology Centre (Room 529, Library):

Refer student/enquirer to the Disability Service or to Denise Currie, the Disability Co-ordinator for the Library.

Room 529 has Assistive software and technology which are not available throughout the rest of the University: Kurzweil, JAWS and CCTV for the use of blind and low vision students. The room is also a quiet environment for guide dogs. Therefore the room is prioritised for the use of such students and is not open to all who are registered with the Disability Service.

Site licences for assistive technology:

Mindgenius, Zoomtext and Texhelp Gold are all programs that are available on the C.S.C.E. for disabled/non disabled and dyslexic students to use.

  • Texthelp Gold is the core package for people with dyslexic difficulties.
  • Zoomtext is a screen enlargement program for people with low vision.
  • Mindgenius is a concept mind mapping program useful for all students but is particularly useful as a mnemonic strategy for exam revision and for helping students plan out and structure essays.

Contact IT Help Desk for more information

Temporary disability

Students with a temporary disability need to inform their School directly in case there is anything that will affect their academic work.

Exam arrangements:

If exam arrangements are needed then these are done at School level. Clerk of Senate needs to be informed, tel: +44 (0) 141 330 8744/3292.

Funding support:

If you can prove that you need help with funding for taxis, then you can make a case to the committee for the University crisis loan. Contact the Financial Aid Team.


The Disability Service has a fleet of 8 mobility scooters to loan for getting around campus. Contact Fleet Manager Sylvia Morgan.

The SPT Accessible Bus Service: www.spt.co.uk/bus


Other resources

Disclosure enquiries

Glasgow International College & Disability Support

Contact Head of Student Services Tel: + 44 (0) 141 330 8663.


If a disabled student has had a significant period of absence because of their disability and has missed teaching on their course, please refer the student to their Disability Adviser who can arrange one to one study support, if appropriate. This support will be funded either by Disabled Students’ Allowance or by the Disability Service.


Joining the Disability contacts in Moodle

The Moodle site was one of the requests that came out of last year's DDC briefing session and also from the focus group arranged by EDU for the DES. The Disability Contacts have ownership.

  • Log into Moodle and enter:
  • Moodle name: Disability Service,
  • Enrolment key: Disability Service.

After you have enrolled you should be able to use your usual MIS user name and password.