Disabled Students

Guide for Disabled Students

4.1  Guidelines for disabled students (which includes but is not limited to dyslexic or autistic students, students with chronic medical or mental health conditions, and students with sensory or mobility impairments) can be found on the University website at https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/disability/. Details of examination and other assessment arrangements for disabled students can be found in Regulation 24. The Disability Service is located at 65 Southpark Avenue, Glasgow G12 8LE (block E12 on the campus map). The remit of the Disability Service does not extend to students with a short- or medium-term illness or injury from which they are expected to recover.

4.2  Disabled students should contact the Disability Service at the earliest opportunity for advice on study support, and arrangements for reasonable adjustments to teaching and assessment. If a student requires reasonable adjustments in exams, it is their responsibility to contact the Disability Service well in advance of the Registry’s published deadlines. The Disability Service can give advice on procedures and provision at the University for disabled students. Students are advised to send evidence of disability to the Disability Service prior to their first appointment at the Disability Service so that their study support needs can be assessed and implemented as quickly as possible. Disabled students without evidence should still contact the Disability Service for advice and support, which can include support to access diagnostic services and get evidence.

4.3  Dyslexic students should have an assessment carried out by a Chartered Educational Psychologist accredited by the British Psychological Society or a PATOSS qualified dyslexia practitioner (PATOSS refers to the Professional Association of teachers of students with specific learning difficulties). Where necessary to inform study support recommendations, the Disability Service can arrange and fund assessments.

4.4  The reasonable adjustments documented in the student's Needs Assessment Report are passed on to the student’s Academic Adviser of Studies and their School's Disability Coordinators. Every disabled student who is registered with the Disability Service is allocated a named Disability Adviser whose contact details are included on their disability entry on MyCampus. It is the responsibility of the subject area, School or College to contact the Disability Service if further information is required about a student’s support needs. The Disability Service will respond promptly to any enquiry from academic staff seeking further information. Further information can be found at: https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/disability/staff/coordinators/.

4.5  Changes to reasonable adjustments initially implemented may be required due to a worsening or flare-up in a student’s condition, or in response to changing circumstances. Amended or new adjustments can be agreed between the student and their Disability Adviser. Additionally, Academic or School staff should make an immediate, supportive response to any observable need. University staff do not need prior approval from the Disability Service to make an initial, supportive response, and while all disabled students should be signposted to the Disability Service for specialist advice and guidance, they do not need to be using the Disability Service before the University begins to provide support. A supportive response may include: advising the student about coursework extensions and supporting the student with extension-related processes, facilitating a meeting between the student and their Adviser of Studies or other Academic Adviser, and signposting the student to the Disability Service or the wider student support services. Academic or School staff who believe a student may require an immediate reasonable adjustment (such as a greater amount of extra time in a near-date exam, or an alternative to a near-date oral presentation) should contact the Disability Service for advice from a Disability Adviser. University staff are encouraged in all cases to contact the Disability Service for guidance and do not need permission from the student to do this.

4.6  When the University is the funder for a student’s NMPH (non-medical personal helper) support (or has funding responsibility when Disabled Students' Allowance monies are exhausted), the University reserves the right to recruit and deploy support staff who fulfil the University’s own quality audit requirements with regard to the qualifications, experience and academic background of such support staff, as deemed appropriate by the Disability Service.

4.7  Subject to availability, equipment from the Disability Service’s loan pool will be provided of the same or similar specification to that provided by DSA funding bodies. The Disability Service reserves the right to prioritise the allocation of loan items to students according to disability-related need. Failure to return equipment loaned to students from the Disability Service may lead to the application of sanction on the MyCampus student record and prevention of further registration, enrolment, or graduation.

Back to Contents List