The Mackintosh House
The Mackintosh House
The Hunterian houses one of the most important collections of the work of Scottish architect, designer and artist, Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) and his wife, the artist Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864-1933).
The Mackintosh House is a meticulous reassemblage of the principal interiors from the Mackintoshes’ Glasgow home. The couple lived at 78 Southpark Avenue (originally 6 Florentine Terrace) from 1906 to 1914. Substantial alterations were made in 1906 as Mackintosh remodelled the proportions and natural lighting of the Victorian end-of-terrace house. The principal interiors were decorated in his distinctive style, remarkable then, and now, for the disciplined austerity of the furnishings and decoration.
The house was demolished in the early 1960s but the original fixtures were preserved and reassembled, complete with the contents, as an integral part of the Hunterian Art Gallery. The architects took pains to ensure that the sequence of rooms exactly reflected the original. Virtually the same views and effects of natural light are enjoyed as 78 Southpark Avenue stood only some 100 metres away. Other areas of the original house - cloakroom, kitchen, bathroom, and secondary bedrooms - have not been incorporated.
The interiors, completed in 1981, have been furnished with the Mackintoshes' own furniture - all to Mackintosh's design - and decorated as closely as possible to the original. The selection of bric à brac, fitted carpets, curtains and other soft furnishings was based on contemporary descriptions of the house and photographs of Mackintosh interiors of the period.
Further information on 6 Florentine Terrace can be found on the Mackintosh Architecture website.
View current opening hours.
- There is an admission charge for the Mackintosh House.
- Admission is self-guided.
- Last admission is at 4.15pm (3.15pm on Sundays).
- For conservation reasons, a maximum of 12 visitors are allowed in the Mackintosh House at any one time.
- For security reasons we do not allow bags of any kind (including handbags) in the Mackintosh House. Bags can be stored in the lockers on the basement level.
- Visitors should be aware that CCTV is in operation.