We are a very active research group with a strong international reputation well supported by the funding councils, research councils and industry.
We are currently seeking candidates studentships starting in October 2023 and there are a number of ways to fund your studies. If you wish to join us, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Current Areas of Interest
Research in the Materials and Condensed Matter Physics Group is focused on understanding the materials, films and devices at the nanoscale or even the atomic scale. Some areas of current interest include:
- Spintronics for information processing and storage in magnetic nanowires
- Organic heterostructures and magnetic meta-materials for spintronics.
- Topological materials and devices for spintronics and plasmonics.
- Development of time resolved transmission electron microscopy techniques
- Understanding the structure and properties of optical coatings
- Nanocharacterisation of advanced materials for energy applications
- Growth of advanced oxide materials for memory and electronics applications
- Ultrahigh precision quantification of the atomic structure of nanoscale objects
Detailed project descriptions are listed on the following page.
We have excellent state-of-the-art electron and ion beam facilities for nanoanalysis and magnetic imaging in the Kelvin Nanocharacterisation Centre.
Prof. Stephen McVitie
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Glasgow
Tel: +44 141 330 6895
Fax: +44 141 330 4464