Travels arrangements and conference registration
Travel should be booked through our preferred travel supplier wherever possible (Selective Travel). Please note that travel cannot be purchased using our purchasing cards!
There is a new travel portal for the University, through which all international travel undertaken by staff and students must be registered and approved. The portal captures relevant details about each trip to ensure that appropriate risk assessments are in place; to check and ensure that the trip complies with local immigration, tax and other regulatory requirements; to confirm that insurance cover is in place; and to ensure that the security team are aware – via the Safety Zone app – of colleagues’ and students’ locations in case complicated political and emergency situations arise overseas.
The new portal is accessible from the People and Organisational Development global mobility web pages so please do take some time to familiarise yourselves with the details. I would highlight in particular the University’s requirement for robust travel risk assessments, detailed via the portal, in light of COVID-19 developments around the world.
To book travel and accommodation
Humanities procedure for travel and accommodation booking requests
BEFORE BOOKING TRAVEL: all international travel undertaken by staff and students must be registered and approved via the University travel portal. The portal captures relevant details about each trip:
- to ensure that appropriate risk assessments are in place;
- to check and ensure that the trip complies with local immigration, tax and other regulatory requirements;
- to confirm that insurance cover is in place;
- and to ensure that the security team are aware – via the Safety Zone app – of colleagues’ and students’ locations in case complicated political and emergency situations arise overseas.
1. Staff member contacts the University approved travel Agent directly to obtain a best cost quote or advice on travel/accommodation availability: Selective Travel Management: online booking or firstname.lastname@example.org or 028 9044 2077
2. Selective send quotes and availability details to the staff member. If staff member would like an alternative quote or option, step 1 should be revisited, otherwise if happy to proceed with the booking then please immediately follow step 3.
3. Staff member forwards the final quote, itinerary and/or accommodation details received from Selective (with chosen option highlighted) to Humanities Purchasing on email@example.com and requests a Purchase Order be raised.
Please ensure that the following information is also provided:
a. Sub-project number
b. Traveller/s name as shown on passport and traveller profile information if requested
c. Supplementary booking requirements e.g. additional luggage charges etc.
4. Humanities Purchasing raises Purchase Order and email the PO reference number to the Travel Agents (cc. staff member) to request booking proceeds and confirmation sent to the SCS staff member. N.B. your booking is not confirmed until a Purchase Order has been issued and sent to the travel agent.
5. Selective forward Booking Confirmation/E-Ticket to staff member, cc Humanities Purchasing.
Hotel bookings in Glasgow
We have corporate rates with a number of hotels in the area which can be booked for guests who are visiting the University. A list of these hotels can be found here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_499689_en.pdf.
Details of hotel bookings should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org along with guest details and the relevant project code.
Car hire in Glasgow
Arnold Clark should be used if you require car hire which will start and end in Glasgow.
Please send details of the car hire and the project code which should be used to email@example.com and the order will be placed for you. Please note, you may be required to visit the Finance/HR/Research office with your driving licence, where a copy will be taken for Arnold Clark’s records.
A DVLA code is now required for all car hire bookings. This can be found at https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence. It is your responsibility to email this to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the booking. The booking may be cancelled without this.
If you require car hire outwith Glasgow, please make sure you book it via email@example.com - please note it is **not** an expense you can claim back via the expenses procedure!
University Transport Services: information on mini-bus hire and external vehicles hires
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who can help you get quotes.
Please send details of the trip including anticipated numbers for the booking to Allander Travel email@example.com, who will provide a quote. When the quote is received, please forward this along with the project number to firstname.lastname@example.org where an order will be raised for you.
It is advisable to contact Allander Travel prior to the booking to obtain the driver’s details in case you need to contact him/her.
Travel insurance (for members of staff and PGRs on University-related business)
It is the responsibility of the traveller to ensure that they are covered by the University travel insurance for the duration of their trip. Please note, personal holidays are not covered.
The travel insurance online form can be managed by logging in using your GUID via the following link - http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/finance/staffsections/insuranceandrisk/forms/travelinsuranceform/
Visitor bookings/expenses claims
The School of Humanities normally doesn’t book travel for visitors to the University. The normal protocol is for visitors to make their own travel arrangement and to them claim back from the University.
We only book the accommodation when the visitors are going to stay in Glasgow.
Visitors can be booked into one of the hotels we have an agreed corporate rate with. If they choose to stay at a different hotel, they can do this and claim back through sundry payee (UK residents) or sundry foreign payment (non-UK residents) forms - available from https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/finance/downloadaform/
Most conference bookings can be confirmed using a University purchasing card. Please email details of the conference along with the project code to email@example.com. It’s helpful to have a login which can be passed on if the registration is lengthy – you can change the password thereafter. Sometimes it’s easier to visit the office and sit with Isabel or Ross while they register you for the conference, so you can confirm the necessary options.