Dr Manosh Paul
- Reader (Systems Power and Energy)
Dr Manosh Paul (CEng, MIMechE, FHEA, BSc(H), MSc) is a Reader in Thermofluids at Mechanical Engineering and member of the Systems, Power & Energy (SPE) Research Division within the School of Engineering. He joined the University of Glasgow in August 2003 as a Lecturer, and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2013 and Reader in 2017. Prior to Glasgow, he was a Post-doctoral Research Associate (PDRA) at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Imperial College London. He gained his PhD in Thermofluids in 2002 from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath. He has first class degrees, with distinctions and gold medals, in both MSc (Applied Mathematics) and BSc honours (Mathematics) obtained from the University of Dhaka in 1999 and 1997 respectively. His research has been recognised internationally with a number of invited talks, committee member and session chair in international conferences. Currently, he serves as a member of the Editorial Board of several international Journals. Moreover, he has been a consultant for several UK industries and external examiner for PhD in other UK and overseas Universities.
He is currently Deputy Head of Mechanical Engineering and Convenor of School of Engineering Computing Committee.
My current research is mainly focused in the field of advanced thermal energy engineering with particular interest in the development of advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) methods for optimising the processes of combustion, pyrolysis and gasification of various sources of fuel energy e. g. coal (pulverised and in situ), syngas, oil, natural gas, biomass and waste.
Currently, I lead the CombGEN (Combustion & Gasification Engineering, http://www.combgen.gla.ac.uk/) research networking project, funded by Carnegie & EPSRC with key industrial stakeholders and Scottish Universities. I am the academic PI of Innovate UK-Energy Catalyst funded project on Bio-GaTe – Advanced Biomass Gasification Technologies with Industry lead Computational Modelling Cambridge Ltd. I am also a CoI on the EPSRC SUPERGEN Bioenergy project on biomass gasification and lead modelling WP.
In addition, I have extensive experience in the numerical simulations of turbulent flow, heat transfer and natural convection with particular interest in the application areas of solar energy, thermal storage, renewable heat and augmentation of heat transfer processes. Currently, I lead the Modelling & Simulation WP of the EPSRC SUPERGEN project on Solar Photovoltaic and Thermoelectric systems http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/K022156/1. I am also a CoI on the EPSRC Thermal Energy challenge project called Therma-Pump and lead modelling work.
Besides, I have broad experience in biomedical engineering with particular focus on the development of robust CFD based in-vitro methods and software for assisting patient treatments carried out by medical collaborators. Current areas of interest include spiral physiological blood flow, cardiovascular diseases, atherosclerotic arteries, cancer chemotherapy (http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_232465_en.html) and vein extravasations during contrast injection. Currently, I lead a research project funded by Medical Research Scotland (MRS) with Toshiba Ltd in collaboration with Medical School & NHS.
I have strong research collaborations with colleagues across the University, other academic institutions, industries and NHS.
Combustion & Gasification (Biomass, wastes, coal). Combined Heat and Power (CHP). Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Fluid Flow & Heat Transfer Modelling. Thermal Storage. Heat Transfer Augemtation. Solar Thermal hybrid energy system. Biomedical Enegineering (Physiological Blood Flow modelling).
I have led a number of research projects funded by research councils, Gov, charities and industries.
I am a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Other professional memberships: Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Scottish Institute for Solar Energy Research (SISER), European Mechanics Society (EROMECH), Combustion Institute UK, International Association of Engineers (IAENG), and Institute of Nanotechnology UK.
Sepe, A. M., Li, J. and Paul, M. (2016) Assessing biomass steam gasification technologies using a multi-purpose model. Energy Conversion and Management, 129, pp. 216-226. (doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2016.10.018)
Li, J., Paul, M. , Younger, P. L. , Watson, I., Hossain, M. and Welch, S. (2016) Prediction of high-temperature rapid combustion behaviour of woody biomass particles. Fuel, 165, pp. 205-214. (doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015.10.061)
Paul, S.C., Paul, M.C. and Jones, W.P. (2010) Large eddy simulation of a turbulent non-premixed propane-air reacting flame in a cylindrical combustor. Computers and Fluids, 39(10), pp. 1832-1847. (doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2010.06.013)
Li, W. et al. (2017) A scaling law for monocrystalline PV/T modules with CCPC and comparison with triple junction PV cells. Applied Energy, 202, pp. 755-771. (doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.05.182)
Li, W. et al. (2017) A coupled optical-thermal-electrical model to predict the performance of hybrid PV/T-CCPC roof-top systems. Renewable Energy, 112, pp. 166-186. (doi:10.1016/j.renene.2017.05.012)
Wilson, M.J. and Paul, M.C. (2011) Effect of mounting geometry on convection occurring under a photovoltaic panel and the corresponding efficiency using CFD. Solar Energy, 85(10), pp. 2540-2550. (doi:10.1016/j.solener.2011.07.013)
Alzwayi, A. S., Paul, M. C. and Navarro-Martinez, S. (2014) Large eddy simulation of transition of free convection flow over an inclined upward facing heated plate. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 57, pp. 330-340. (doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.08.009)
Saha, G. and Paul, M. C. (2014) Numerical analysis of the heat transfer behaviour of water based Al2O3 and TiO2 nanofluids in a circular pipe under the turbulent flow condition. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 56, pp. 96-108. (doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.06.008)
Sakellariou, S., Li, W., Paul, M. C. and Roditi, G. (2016) Rôle of contrast media viscosity in altering vessel wall shear stress and relation to the risk of contrast extravasations. Medical Engineering and Physics, 38(12), pp. 1426-1433. (doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2016.09.016) (PMID:27729199)
Rhode, S., Paul, M.C. , Martens, E. and Campbell, D.F. (2011) Simulation of haemodynamic flow in head and neck cancer chemotherapy. BioMedical Engineering OnLine, 10(1), p. 104. (doi:10.1186/1475-925X-10-104)
Paul, M.C. and Larman, A. (2009) Investigation of spiral blood flow in a model of arterial stenosis. Medical Engineering and Physics, 31(9), pp. 1195-1203. (doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2009.07.008)
- 2017 – 2019: Developing and testing a new Energy from Waste Gasification Feedstock. PI of Grant: £125k (Total: £639k). Funding body: Innovate UK-Energy Catalyst 4 (TS/P006914/1, 103493). Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), I. Watson, N. Karimi, Z. Yu, with Paperback Ltd and Refgas Ltd.
- 2017 – 2018: Bio-GaTe – Advanced Biomass Gasification Technologies. PI of Grant: £100k (Total: £200k). Funding body: IUK- Energy Catalyst (TS/N011686/1). Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI) with Computational Modelling Cambridge Ltd.
- 2016 – 2020: Fractional flow reserve derived through computational fluid dynamics: a non-invasive diagnostic measure to assess the importance of various arterial stenotic diseases. PI of Grant: £110k. Funding body: Medical Research Scotland (MRS) with Toshiba Ltd. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), A. Radjenovic & P. Mark (Medical School); G. Roditi & W. Stuart (NHS).
- 2016 – 2017: Farm Waste Utilisation:Robust Thermal Engineering Approach for Generating Energy from Wastes. PI of Grant: £80k (Total: £140k). Funding body: Interface Food & Drink & Glasgow KE Fund. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), with 6 Industries and Strathclyde, Robert Gordon and UWS.
- 2016 – 2019: Thermally Driven Heat Pump Based on an Integrated Thermodynamic Cycle for Low Carbon Domestic Heating (Therma-Pump). Co-I (WP3 Leader) of Grant: £716k. Funding body: EPSRC Thermal Energy challenge: EP/N020472/1. Investigators: Z. Yu (PI), M. C. Paul, N. Karimi, P. Younger (Glasgow); J. Rose, H. Wang (Queen Mary).
- 2015 – 2018: Real time control of gasifiers to increase tolerance to biomass variety and reduce emissions. Co-I (WP1 Leader) of Grant: £1M. Funding body: EPSRC SUPERGEN Bioenergy: EP/M01343X/1. Investigators: I. Watson (PI), M. C. Paul, J. Sharp, N. Karimi, Z. Yu, P. Younger, P. Hastie (Glasgow); A. Bridgwater, Y. Makkawi (Aston); I. Donnison (Aberystwyth); P. Gilbert (Manchester).
- 2013 – 2017: Scalable Solar Thermoelectrics and Photovoltaics (SUNTRAP). Co-I (WP1 Leader) of Grant: £2.5 M. Funding body: EPSRC SUPERGEN Solar Challenge: EP/K022156/1. Investigators: A.Knox1 (PI), D.Gregory1, D.Paul1, M. Paul1, A.Subramanian1, T.Mallick2, B.Richards3, G.Min4 and R.Freer5. Universities of 1Glasgow, 2Exeter, 3Heriot-Watt, 4Cardiff and 5Manchester. M. Paul leads WP: Simulation & Modelling of System and Individual Components.
- 2012 – 2016: Subsurface Engineering for Underground Coal Gasification and Subsequent Carbon Capture & Storage. Co-I of Grant: £100k. Funding bodies: Five-Quarter Energy Ltd & School DTG. Investigators: Paul L Younger (PI) and M. C. Paul.
- 2013 – 2015: Combustion & Gasification Engineering (CombGEN): development of robust computational resources for optimising the processes of combustion and gasification of various sources of fuel energy. PI of Grant: £60k (Total: £150k). Funding bodies: Carnegie Trust & EPSRC Impact Acceleration. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), Paul Younger, Ian Watson, Mamdud Hossain (Robert Gordon), Stephen Welch (Edinburgh).
- 2012 – 2016: Renewable heat networks: modelling for robust design. Co-I of Grant: £75k. Funding bodies: Scottish Funding Council (ETP) & Cluff Geothermal Ltd. Investigators: Paul L Younger (PI), M. C. Paul andDr Stephens (St Andrews).
- 2014 – 2015: Biomass Co-gasification with Carbon Capture and Storage. Co-I of Grant: £73k. Funding bodies: Energy Technology Partnership (ETP) studentship & Linkschina Investment. Investigators: Jia Li (PI, Edinburgh) and M. C. Paul
- 2013 – 2014: CFD Models and Optimisation of Low NOx Burner. PI of Grant: £50k. Funding body: Scottish Power Ltd at Longannet.
- 2012: Viscous effects of MRI/CT contrasts on vein extravasation. PI of Grant: £5k. Funding body: Bayer Public Limited. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), S. Sakellariou and G. Roditi (Glasgow Royal Infirmary).
- 2010-2011: Several FSA/Scottish Enterprise/Industry Funded Projects. PI of Grant: £20k. Funding bodies: Centeo Biosciences Ltd*, Partrac Ltd, Sciencesoft Ltd & SMDH Ltd. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), Sergio Campobasso and Phillip Dobson (PI*).
- 2010: Pump Cavitation Modelling* & Hydraulic Hammer. PI of Grant: £20k. Funding body: Weir Oil and Gas Ltd* & Clansman Dynamics Ltd.
- 2007 – 2013: Several Funding for Conference Participations. PI of Grant: £5k. Funding bodies: IMechE, Combustion Inst., EUROMECH, EPSRC, Royal Society.
- 2005 – 2009: Two-stage Fan Aerodynamic Efficiency. PI of Grant: £75k. Funding bodies: EPSRC-CASE & Howden Group Technology. Investigators: M. C. Paul (PI), Dr Ron Mulholland (Howden).
Internal Studenship / DTA Competitions
- 2016 – 2020: Gasification and combustion engineering. PI of EPSRC DTA Grant (£90k), Student: Stefano Landini.
- 2014 – 2019: Migration and leakage of CO2 from CCS operations. PI of EPSRC DTA Grant (£90k), Student: Aileen Magee.
- 2011 – 2015: Performance Investigation of Nanofluids. PI of SORSAS & College Studentship (£90k), Student: Goutam Saha.
- 2008 – 2012: Spiral Blood Flow Simulation. PI of ORS & Faculty Studentship (£75k), Student: Md Abdul Hye.
- 2005 – 2008: Numerical Simulations of Turbulent Bio-fluid Flows. PI of ORS & Faculty Studentship (£75k), Student: Md Mamun Molla.
- 2004 – 2007: LES for predicting soot and radiation in a fuel rich turbulent combustion. PI of Faculty of Engineering Studentship (£60k), Student: Sreebash Paul.
I am interested to supervise students wishing to undertake high quality PhD research in my specialised areas and have given below a list of potential PhD area/topics. If you want to discuss about any of these or have your own project thought, please contact me via my email address (Manosh.Paul@glasgow.ac.uk).
- Combustion and Gasification Engineering:
- Advanced modelling of thermochemical processes leading to the optimisation of combustion, pyrolysis and/or gasification of various sources of energy.
- Gasification/Combustion/Co-combustion of biomass, wastes, and coal. Underground Coal Gasification.
- CFD modelling and design of advanced reactors, study of laminar/turbulent combustion processes with experimental validation/assessment.
- Advanced CFD modelling of combustion of other forms of fuel e.g. natural gas, H2, syngas, coal.
- Emission (e.g. NOx, soots) prediction and investigate how to reduce them. CO2 utilisation.
- Combined Heat & Power (CHP) application.
- Thermal Energy Applications:
- Natural Convection, Heat Transfer and Flow Transition: Fundamental study as well as application of advanced LES/DNS methods.
- Thermal Storage, heat transfer augmentation, and multi-phase flow.
- Solar Energy: Photovoltaic (PV), PV/Thermoelectric (TE) and other novel hybrid energy systems.
- Biomedical Engineering:
- Physiological Blood Flow: LES/DNS modelling of spiral stenotic flows (cardiovascular diseases e.g. atherosclerotic arteries).
- Patient specific opensource code development.
- Drug distribution and optimisation of patient treatment (cancer chemotherapy, vein extravasations etc).
PhD Student: Current
- 2016: Mr Simeon Skopalik (MRS), Fractional flow reserve derived through CFD, Co-S: A. Radjenovic & P. Mark (Medical School).
- 2016: Miss Ainul Nadhira (Malaysian Gov.), Energy from Wastes.
- 2015: Mr Tananop Piemsinlapakunchon (Indonesian Gov), Advanced Combustion Modelling of Syngas, Co-S: Dr Angela Busse.
- 2015: Mr Ahmed Salem (Egypt Gov), Biomass Gasification Process Enhancement, Co-S: Dr Ian Watson.
- 2015: Mr Tata Sutadi (Indonesian Gov.), Underground coal gasification, Co-S: Karimi & Younger.
- 2014: Ms Aileen Magee (EPSRC DTA), Migration and leakage of CO2 from CCS operations, Co-S: Karimi & Younger.
- 2014: Mr Loizos Christodoulou (EPSRC DTA), Entropy wave transition, Lead-S: Dr Nader Karimi.
- 2014: Ms Linwei Wang (CSC Scholarship), In-situ combustion for enhanced oil recovery, Lead-S: Dr Nader Karimi.
- 2013: Mr Ali Abbas Hameed Al-kayiem (Iraqi Gov.), Thermoacoustic Systems, Lead-S: Dr Zhibin Yu.
- 2012: Mr Juan Vazquez (Five-Quarter Energy Ltd & DTG), UG Coal Gasification and Subsequent CCS, Lead-S: Prof. Paul L Younger.
- 2012: Mr Fernando Martinez (Mexican Government), Multi-physics Simulation for Geothermal Model, Lead-S: Prof. Paul L Younger.
PhD Student: Completed
- 2016: Dr Goutam Saha (SORSAS & Studentship), Heat Transfer Performance Investigation of Nanofluids Flow in Pipe.
- 2016: Dr Blaid Sasi Abozeid (Libyan Gov.), Numerical investigation of the combustion processes of various combustion regimes, Co-S: Dr Ian Watson.
- 2015: Dr Ahmed Al-Waaly (Iraqi Gov.), The effect of heat transfer on temperature measurement and it’s applications to study microchannel heat sinks. Co-S: Dr Phil Dobson.
- 2015: Dr Taiwo Oni (Nigerian Gov.), Numerical investigation of heat transfer and fluid flow in tubes induced with twisted tape inserts.
- 2013: Dr Ali Saad Alzwayi (Libyan Government). Title: Transition of Free Convection Boundary Layer Flow.
- 2012: Dr Md Abdul Hye (ORS & Studentship). Thesis: Simulation of Transient Blood Flow in Models of Arterial Stenosis and Aneurysm.
- 2009: Dr Md Mamun Molla (ORS & Studentship). Thesis: LES of Physiological flow in the Model Arterial Stenosis and Aneurysm
- 2008: Dr Richard Lennox (EPSRC-CASE & Howden). Thesis: Two-stage Fan Aerodynamic Efficiency
- 2008: Dr Sreebash Paul (Studentship). Thesis: LES of Fuel Rich Turbulent Non-premixed Combustion with Radiative Heat Transfer.
- 2016: Dr Sotirios Kyriakis (ETP & Cluff Geothermal Ltd), Renewable heat networks: modelling for robust design, Lead-S: Prof. Paul L. Younger.
- 2011: Dr Murray Whyte (DTA-EPSRC). Thesis: Micro-thermal Arrays, PI: Dr Phil Dobson
Research Assistant/Postdoc: Current
- 2017 – 2019: Dr Bijan Yadollahi (EPSRC), Therma-Pump Project.
- 2017 – 2018: Dr Umesh Kumar (Innovate UK), Bio-GaTe Project.
- 2016 – 2017: Mr Harry Dhami (Interface & KE fund), Farm Waste Utilisation.
- 2014 – 2018: Dr Wenguang Li (EPSRC SUPERGEN). Title: Scalable Solar Thermoelectrics and Photovoltaics (SUNTRAP)
Research Assistant/Postdoc: Completed
- 2014 – 2015: Dr Jun Li (Carnegie & EPSRC IAA). Title: Combustion & Gasification Engineering (CombGEN)
- 2014: Dr Norbert Modlinski (Scottish Power Ltd). Title: CFD Models and Optimisation of Low NOx Burner
- 2012: Dr Wenguang Li (Bayer Public Limited). Title: Viscous effects of MRI/CT contrasts on patient veins.
- 2011: Dr Edmondo Minisci (Partrac Ltd). Title: CFD modelling of interior flow dynamics in a sediment trap, Co-I: Dr S. Campobasso.
- 2009 – 2010: Mr Olumide Awolaran (Weir Oil and Gas & Clansman Dynamics Ltd). Title: Pump Cavitations, CFD Investigation of Clansman Hydraulic Hammer.
I am currently leading the teaching of Thermodynamics 1 within the School of Engineering under the new common structure. I also lead the planning of Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics Teaching in the Mechanical Engineering Division. Below is a list of courses I am teaching now:
- Thermodynamics 1: http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=ENG1066
- Fluid Mechanics M3: http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=ENG3030
- Advanced Thermal Engineering 4: http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/course/?code=ENG4179
- Advanced Thermal Engineering 5:
- Herald: “Great potential to tap into source of renewable energy off our shores” http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/agenda-great-potential-to-tap-into-source-of-renewable-energy-off-our-shores.24172540
- Scotsman: “Cancer cure hope as new injection method targets tumours at source” http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/health/cancer-cure-hope-as-new-injection-method-targets-tumours-at-source-1-2279134
Editorial Board Member:
- Journal of Electronics Cooling and Thermal Control (JECTC), Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science (Part C of IMechE), Open Journal of Physical Chemistry (OJPC), Journal of Fluids and Thermal Sciences, and Journal of Applied Mechanical Engineering.
- Invited Editor of Book entitled “Soot: Sources, Formation and Health Effects”, Nova Science Publishers, USA. ISBN: 978-1-61942-941-3.
- 2016: SCOTTISH ENERGY ASSOCIATION, Glasgow.
- 2016: Department of Mathematics, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- 2016: Chief guest & Invited Talk given at the International Workshop on Aspects of Fluidized Bed Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati.
- 2016: Department of Mathematics, Visva-Bharati (a central university), India.
- 2015: Invited Talk – Gasification Challenges and Opportunity, 9 July, Glasgow.
- 2015: Invited Talk – World Congress on Engineering, 1-3 July, Imperial College London.
- 2014: Keynote speech – International Conference on Advances in Civil, Structure and Mechanical Engineering (CSM 2014), 16-17 Nov, 2014, University of Birmingham.
- 2014: European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI), Aston University.
- 2014: Doosan Babcock, R&D Centre, Renfrew.
- 2013: Scottish Power Longannet.
- 2013: Vascular Surgeon Seminar, Western Infirmary Glasgow.
- 2011: Energy Research, December 2011, CeeD Initiative.
- 2011: Department of Mathematics, University of Birmingham.
- 2010: Cutting Edge Research, November 2010, CeeD Initiative.
- 2009: Keynote speech – 16th Mathematics Conference in Dhaka, 17-19 December 2009.
- 2008: 10th Int. Conference on Heat Transfer, Maribor, Slovenia, 9-11 July (couldn’t attend).
- 2008: Sustainability Research Network, 10 April 2008, University of Glasgow.
- 2005: Applied Mathematics-Engineering Seminar Series, University of Glasgow.
- 2003: Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Glasgow.
- 2002: Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London.
External Committee & Professional Services:
- 2016 – : Selected Member of the EPSRC Peer Review Associate College.
- 2010 – : Peer Review for UKRC Research Proposals.
- 2016: Technical Programme Committee of 12th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics (HEFAT2016), 11–13 July 2016, Costa Del Sol, Spain.
- 2015 – : Committee member of the International Conference of Mechanical Engineering (ICME), World Congress on Engineering, 1-3 July, Imperial College London.
- 2014: Session chair – International Conference on Advances in Civil, Structure and Mechanical Engineering (CSM 2014), 16-17 Nov, 2014, University of Birmingham.
- 2014: Chair of a Mini-symposium on Low Carbon Energy Technology in the 6th BSME International Conference on Thermal Engineering, Dhaka, 19-21 December 2014.
- 2014: Session chair and publication committee of the 12th International Conference on Combustion and Energy Utilisation, 29 Sep-3 Oct 2014, Lancaster.
- 2014: Organising Committee of the International Conference and Exhibition on Solar Systems and Power Generation Technologies (Solar-2014), Hyderabad, India.
- 2013: Scientific Advisory Body, International Conference on Energy Resources & Technologies for Sustainable Development (ICERTSD), 9-11 February 2013, Shibpur, India.
- 2010: Ambassador and helped Glasgow Convention Bureau to bring ASME Gas Turbo Expo 2010 to Glasgow.
- 2008: Chaired a Technical Session (XIV) in the 4th BSME-ASME International Conference on Thermal Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 27-29 December 2008.
- 2008: Member of the International Scientific Advisory Committee of the 10th International Conference on Heat Transfer 2008 in Maribor, Slovenia, 9-11 July 2008.
- Reviewer of a significant number of top International Journals and book publishers.
- International Conference and Exhibition on Solar Systems and Power Generation Technologies, Hyderabad, India, to be held in 2014.
- An Ambassador and helped Glasgow Convention Bureau to bring ASME Gas Turbo Expo 2010 to Glasgow.
Professional bodies & Affiliations:
- Member of Engineering Professors’ Council, UK.
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, UK.
- Memberof the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), UK.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK.
- Member of the UK Combustion Institute.
- Associate of BritGeothermal partnership.
- Member of Scottish Institute for Solar Energy Research (SISER).
- Member of International Association of Engineers (IAENG).
- Member of European Mechanics Society (EROMECH, 2009-2014).