Dr Shan Kumar
- Reader in Composites and Additive Manufacturing (Systems Power & Energy)
My research interests revolve around mechanics and materials innovation & design with a focus on multiscale and multifunctional attributes, particularly in the context of additive manufacturing (AM) towards energy efficient and sustainable applications. Our current efforts focus on bioinspired and integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) approaches for the design of advanced multifunctional materials and composites. Our group’s strength in combining theory, computations and experiments has led to several novel contributions, for e.g., 3D printed compliance-tailored multilayers. For more information, please visit Materials and Manufacturing Research Group and AM3DP.
Kumar Shanmugam is Reader in Composites and Additive Manufacturing in the James Watt School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow. Prior to joining the University of Glasgow, Kumar held positions at Masdar Institute (Associate/Assistant Professor), MIT (Visiting Assistant Professor), UC Santa Barbara (Post-Doctoral Researcher) and DRDO (Scientist). He obtained a Ph.D. in Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering from University of Oxford in the Department of Engineering Science. His research interests in mechanics, materials and additive manufacturing are reflected in his recent and ongoing research collaborations with MIT, University of Cambridge, Harvard Medical School, Pacific Northwest National Lab, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), University of New South Wales, Lockheed Martin, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), University of Texas Austin, Texas A&M University and Borouge. Kumar has generated more than £5M through external grants and has been awarded the ADEK award twice for research excellence. He also serves on the editorial boards of the International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives and Scientific Reports. Kumar has edited a book, contributed 5 book chapters, and authored more than 70 journal articles. He is a Sr. Member of AIAA, and a member of ASME, APS, ACS, and the UK Society for Adhesion and Adhesives.
- Transforming Material Architecture (April 2012-Dec 2015), Funding Source: MI-MIT Cooperative Program, USD 300,000, Grant No: 12MAMA1, Role: PI.
- Carbon Nanostructures: From Characterization, Modeling to Product Design (Dec 2013-Dec 2015), Funding Source: Lockheed Martin, USA , USD 1000,000, Grant No: 13NZZA1, Role: Co-I.
- Carbon Nanostructure-Polymer Composites for Electrical Power Transmission Lines (May 2014-March 2016), Funding Source: Lockheed Martin, USA, USD 200,000, Grant No: EX2014-000011, Role: PI.
- Improved Barrier Performance of Polyolefins (Sep 2014-Dec 2015), Funding Source: Borouge Pet Ltd, USD 276,000, Grant No: EX2014-000027, Role: PI.
- Sustainable High-Performance Coatings: An Integrated Approach (2014-2015), Funding Source: Award of Seed Funding, Masdar Institute, USD 280,797, Grant No: RS2014-000006, Role: PI.
- Design and Development of High Performance Composites for Hydrocarbon and Water Transmission & Distribution Systems: An Integrated Approach (01 Feb 2016-31 Dec 2019), Funding Source: Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), USD 2.209340M, Grant No: EX2016-000010, Role: PI.
- Nanocomposite Biomaterials for Orthopedic Implants (01 Jan 2016-31 Dec 2017), Funding Source: ADEK, Abu Dhabi. USD 279,683, Grant No: EX2016-000006, Role: PI.
- Development of nano-carbon-zeolite hybrid supports for novel hydro-processing catalysts (01 Jan 2018- 31 Dec 2019), Funding Source: ADEK, Abu Dhabi, USD 279528, Grant No: AARE-17/8434000100, Role: Co-I.
- Additive Manufacturing of Multifunctional PEEK Composites for Biomedical Applications: Characterization & Modeling to Innovative Product Design: A Holistic Approach (01 June 2018- 31 May 2021), Funding Source: CIRA , USD 750,000, Role: PI.
- Bend-dominated mechanical metamaterials with high specific strength and stiffness enabled by additive manufacturing (Jan 2020-31 Dec 2022), Funding Source: ADEK, USD 272,000, Role: Co-I.
Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Jabir Parakkal (UofG)
- Andrew Jefferson (Khalifa University (KU), Masdar)
- Vinay Gupta (KU)
- Johannes Schneider (UofG), Role: Primary Supervisor
- O.H. Saad (KU), Role: Co-Supervisor
- M.U. Azam (KU), Role: Co-Supervisor
- Nadine Anderson (UofG), Role: Primary Supervisor
- Sara Almuhairi (KU), Role: Co-Supervisor
PhD Students (Past)
- M A Khan, Graduated-Fall 2017, Currently Assistant Professor at Mahindra Ecole Centrale, India.
- Jabir Ubaid, Graduated-Fall 2019, Currently PDRA at UofG.
- H Alhashmi, Graduated-Fall 2019
MS Students (Past)
- S Tampi, Graduated May 2014
- H Alhashmi, Graduated May 2014
- A M de Tejada Alvarez, Graduated May 2015
- F Bernabe, Graduated May 2015
- J Liljenhjerte, Graduated May 2015
- N M Oliva, Graduated May 2016
- E Dugbenoo, Graduated Dec 2016
- M Choosri, Graduated May 2017
- A Younus, Graduated May 2018
Current (Jan 2020-Present) at UofG:
- UG: ENG3035 Design and Manufacture 3
- PhD Level Course: ENG5318 Material Technologies
Past (Jan 2013-Dec 2019) at Masdar Institute:
- 300 Level Courses: MEEG 344 Mechanics of Materials; MEEN 325 Mechanics of Solids
- 400 Level Courses: FDN 414 Advanced Calculus
Postgraduate Level Courses:
- 500 Level Courses: MEG 517 Continuum Mechanics; MEG 518 Advanced Mechanics of Solids & Materials; SSC 501 Spacecraft Systems and Design
- 600 Level Courses: MEG 624 Linear and Nonlinear Finite Element Methods, MEEN 610 Applied Finite Element Analysis; MEEN 606 Advanced Mechanics of Solids & Materials
I am constantly looking for talented and passionate Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows to join our group. I encourage interested candidates to discuss their research plan with me. If you want to join my group as post-doc, please email me your latest CV with 2 most recent papers. For prospective PhD students, the detailed application process is available here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/colleges/scienceengineering/graduateschool/postgraduateresearchstudy/howtoapply/.
PhD Positions: Our group has open PhD positions in the broad area of additive manufacturing-enabled multifunctional materials with a specific focus on mechanical metamaterials, multifunctional composites, biomaterials and soft robotics.
Fellowship Opportunities :
I am keen on supporting strong candidates for various Fellowships. Information about some of the relevant fellowships, the application procedure and closing dates, can be found via following links:
- Lord Kelvin Adam Smith Fellowships
- Marie Curie Fellowships
- EPSRC Fellowships
- Royal Academy of Engineering Fellowships
- STFC Fellowships
- Scottish Enterprise/Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) Enterprise Fellowships
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships
- Newton International Fellowships
- Ernest Rutherford Fellowships
- Fellowships supported by STFC
- The Leverhulme Trust Fellowships
- University of Glasgow Fellowship Schemes
Please contact me if you are interested in the Research Fellowships.