Dr Chong Li
- Senior Lecturer (Electronic & Nanoscale Engineering)
I obtained a PhD degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering from the University of Glasgow in 2011. My PhD involved developing monolithic millimetre-wave signal sources and integrated circuits. Following my PhD I took up a post as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant, and later a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Glasgow, working on development of terahertz imaging systems. I joined the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) in January 2014 as a Higher Research Scientist. Since then I have contributed to and led several commercial projects and UK national and three European research projects including PlanarCal, MET5G and MORSE. I was the measurement service provider (MSP) for Ultrafast Waveform Metrology service at the NPL and led work on microwave and millimetre-wave on-wafer measurements. I rejoined Glasgow University in 2017 as a lectuer and found the Microwave and Terahertz Electronics (MaTE) group. I am the Manager of the School's Microwave and Terahertz Laboraotory (see below for further details).
I held a visiting position at the Advanced Technology Institute (ATI), University of Surrey in 2017. I am a senior member of IEEE and a member of the European Microwave Association (EuMA) General Assembly (GA) representing Group 4 (United Kingdom, Ireland, Gibraltar, Malta). I am the Chair of Workshop&Short Courses of EuMW2021 and an Associate Editor for Royal Society Open Science. I've served as a member of the technical programme committee for several conferences. I won the best paper twice at Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC).
I am leading the Microwave and THz Electronics (MaTE) Group and interested in:
- developing novel microwave, mmWave and THz components, devices and circuits;
- emerging materials and technologies for wireless sensing, imaging, communications and energy harvesting;
- metrology for antennas and propagation; and
- metrology for on-wafer measurements.
Summer students, final year/MSc project students, self-funded/government-funded PhD students are welcome to my group. Please contact me if you have any brilliant ideas about any of the above listed topic(s) or something else.
Equipment and Facilities
I am currently managing the Microwave and Terahertz Laboraotry which is equiped with the state-of-art instruments for characterisation of RF, microwave, mmWave and THz devices and systems. Information about micro-/nano-fabrication can be found on the JWNC website. Here below list some of the equipment for measurements from RF to THz:
Anntenna measurement systems
- 0.5 GHz-16 GHz anechoic chamber
- 140 GHz-220 GHz near field planar antenna scanning system
- 220 GHz-325 GHz near field planar antenna scanning system
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz near field planar antenna scanning system
On-wafer power and S-parameter measurement systems
- 10 MHz-110 GHz on-wafer VNA system integrated with semi-automated probe station
- 140 GHz-220 GHz and 220 GHz-325 GHz on-wafer VNA systems with manul probe stations
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz on-wafer VNA system with manul probe stations
- Spectrum analyer and power meter for up to 325 GHz
Other measurement capabilities
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz material characterisation kit (MCK)
- Semiconductor device analyser for DC & Pulsed IV/CV measurement (on-wafer)
- DC-40 GHz high/low temprature (77K/675K) manual probe station with permanent maganet
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Research Assistant in my group. You will contribute to a high profile EPSRC funded GaN-on-Diamond project working with Dr. Chong Li and collaborators from Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, and Cardiff The successful candidate will also be expected to have demonstrable experience in dry-etching and wet-etching of semiconductors. Application Deadline: 14 August 2020.
For more information and to apply online: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CAT137/research-assistant
- Compact monolithic integrated circuits for 6G wireless communications
- Energy efficient transistors for quantum computing
- GaN-based oscillators for beyond 5G
- Development of mm-wave imaging systems for security screening
- Development of wireless charging technology for in-body medical and diagnostic devices
- Millimeter-wave and THz on-wafer measurements
"Millimetre-wave and Terahertz On-chip Circuit Test Cluster for 6G Communications and Beyond (TiC6G)", EPSRC,2022-2023, CoI, £2.7M
"GaN Smart Power Integrated Circuit Techonlogy (GaN SPICe)", EPSRC, 2021-2024, CoI, £502k
"Evaluation of beta-Ga2O3 for high power RF device applications" ESPRC, 2020-2022, CoI, £255k
"Integrated GaN-Diamond Microwave Electronics: From Materials, Transistors to MMICs (GaN_DaME)", EPSRC, 2017(2020)-2021, CoI, £4.3M
"Solar-Hydro power project", InnovateUK, 2020-2021, PI, £300k
"EMC tests on CubeSats", Commericial, 2021-, PI
"Dielectric materials for 5G base station", 2020, PI
"Picosatellite antennae", Commericial, 2019, PI
"RFID for tracking livestocks", Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society Ltd. 2019, PI
"Multiphysical millimeter-wave probe station", EPSRC, ECR small equipment grant, 2019, PI
"Hybrid solar-hydro freasibility studies", Global Challenges Research Fund, 2018, PI
"Millimetre-wave on-wafer power and S-parameter measurements", Commercial, 2018-2019, PI
Horizon2020 PlanarCal (€1.8M) 2015-2018, WP leader
Horizon2020 MET5G (€1.6M) 2015-2018, Researcher
Horizon2020 MORSE (€2.4M) 2013-2016, Researcher
DECC DGO2 (£0.9M) 2014, WP leader
Visiting Scholars:Dr. Shimul Saha, Mr. Chen Liu, Ms Yi Wang
Connor Munro "GaN DaME"
Andrew Scott-George "Hybrid solar-hydro power systems"
Current PhD students:
M. Farage (Y4) "W-band frequency scanning antennas" (1st supervisor)
Y. Yi (12.2018-) "Graphene-based terahertz tunable modulators" (1st supervisor)
A. Dhongde (11.2018-) "W-band GaN power amplifiers" (2nd supervisor)
J. Wang (10.2019-) "Terahertz transistors and power amplifiers" (1st supervisor)
H. Cheng (10.2019-) "Monolithic Integrated Circuits for Terahertz Communications" (1st supervisor)
M. Zhong (02.2020-) "Nonlinear electronic THz detectors" (1st supervisor)
Y. Ma (11.2020-) "Hybrid RF/Ulstrasound energy harvester" (1st supervisor)
Current MEng/MSc Students:Lucas Anderson "Evaluation of an autonoumous power meter device for electrical application"
Current final year students:
Yuhua Shen, "Ultrasound charging for underwater applications"
Mingkang Sun, "Beyond 5G MIMO channel predicton and analysis"
Junyi Dong "Low profille antennas for beyong 5G mobile communications"
Jieying Sun "Using SBR+ to model mm-wave imaging"
Luke Revie "Energy harvesting with raindrops "
Xinying Hu "AI driven transistor design"
Former PhD students:Kaivan Karami 2018
Haris Votsi 2015 (Surrey)
Former visiting scholars:
2019: Dr. Ying Wang (Northwestern Polytechnical University)
2016-2017: Mr. Aihua Wu, HSRI， Mr. Chen Liu, HSRI
Former MEng/MSc Sudents2019-2020:
Aulia Nadira Aulia Nadira; Fei Yue; Fu Yuming; Hu Juehe; Li Sixian; Wen Yizhu; Zheng Xinhui
Yang Yang; Mingyan Zhong; Siyuan Zhou; Yufei Ma; Mingxin Zheng; Wei Zhang; Jialu Chen
Muhammad Taha Ansari "RFID for tracking personal belongs"
Kavisha Jayathunge, Panagiotis Kamintzis, and Muhammad Taha Ansari "Wireless charging technology for underwater sensing"
Abu Inayat ，Asfand Tanwear，Kaivan Karami，Naeem Mannan，Zhivomir Arnaudov，Mohamed El Mustafa Ismail Omer Anjeeshnu Das，Xiaoyi Guo，Yuyang Wang，Yi Yi，Zhenpei Zhou
Former UG FYP students
2019-2020 Yihan Wang, Zimo Zhao, Andrew Scott-George, James Kelly, and Struan Maidment, Feiyang Sun,Hussain Al Lawati,Wenli Jia
2018-2019 Xiaotong Guo "Design of reflectarray antennas for next generation mobile communications" (FYP)
2018-2019 Jassim Alkuwari "Characterising thin-film materials at millimeterwave frequencies" (FYP)
2017-2018 Kwing Choy
- ENG3043 Real-time Computer Systems (coordinator)
- ENG3023 Electromagnetic Compatibility (coordinator)
- ENG5056 Microwave and Millimeter-wave Circuit Design
Professional activities & recognition
- 2017: Royal Society Open Science
Professional & learned societies
- 2018 - 2021: Member of General Assembly, European Microwave Association
- 2019 - 2021: Chair of Workshops and Short Courses, European Microwave 2021
- 2017: Senior Member, IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- 2018: Member, IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology)