Dr Chong Li
- Lecturer (Electronic & Nanoscale Engineering)
I received a BEng degree in Telecommunications Engineering from Donghua University (Shanghai, China) in 2002, an MSc degree (Distinction) in Communications Engineering from the University of Manchester in 2007, and a PhD degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering from the University of Glasgow in 2011. My PhD involved developing monolithic millimetre-wave signal sources and integrated circuits.
Following my PhD I took up a post as a Postdoctoral Research Assistant, and later a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Glasgow, working on development of terahertz imaging systems. I joined the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) in January 2014 as a Higher Research Scientist. Since then I have contributed to and led several commercial projects and UK national and three European research projects including PlanarCal, MET5G and MORSE. I was the measurement service provider (MSP) for Ultrafast Waveform Metrology service at the NPL and led work on microwave and millimetre-wave on-wafer measurements.
I held a visiting position at the Advanced Technology Institute (ATI), University of Surrey in 2017. I am a senior member of IEEE and a member of the European Microwave Association (EuMA) General Assembly (GA) representing Group 4 (United Kingdom, Ireland, Gibraltar, Malta). I am also an Associate Editor for Royal Society Open Science. I've served as a member of the technical programme committee for several conferences. In 2015 I won the best paper at Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC).
I am leading the Microwave and THz Electronics (MaTE) Group and interested in:
- developing novel microwave, mmWave and THz components, devices and circuits;
- emerging materials and technologies for wireless sensing, imaging, power transfer and communications;
- metrology for antennas and propagation; and
- metrology for on-wafer measurements.
Summer students, final year/MSc project students, self-funded/government-funded PhD students are welcome to my group. Please contact me if you have any brilliant ideas about any of the above listed topic(s) or something else.
Equipment and Facilities
I am currently managing the Microwave and Terahertz Laboraotry which is equiped with the state-of-art instruments for characterisation of RF, microwave, mmWave and THz devices and systems. Information about micro-/nano-fabrication can be found on the JWNC website. Here below list some of the equipment for measurements from RF to THz:
Anntenna measurement systems
- 1 GHz-16 GHz anechoic chamber
- 140 GHz-220 GHz near field atenna scanning system
- 220 GHz-325 GHz near field atenna scanning system
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz near field atenna scanning system
On-wafer power and S-parameter measurement systems
- 10 MHz-110 GHz on-wafer VNA system integrated with semi-automated probe station
- 140 GHz-220 GHz and 220 GHz-325 GHz on-wafer VNA systems with manul probe stations
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz on-wafer VNA system with manul probe stations
- Spectrum analyer and power meter for up to 325 GHz
Other measurement capabilities
- 750 GHz-1.1 THz material characterisation kit (MCK)
- Semiconductor device analyser for DC & Pulsed IV/CV measurement (on-wafer)
- DC-40 GHz high/low temprature (77K/675K) manual probe station with permanent maganet
- Compact monolithic millimetre-wave and terahertz integrated circuits
- Nano-vaccum electronics for mmWave and THz applications
- Graphene-based tunable electronic and optical devices
- Development of mm-wave imaging systems
- Development of wireless charging technology for in-body medical and diagnostic devices
- Metrology for on-wafer S-parameter measurements
"Antenna for satellite communications" Spire Global Ltd, 2019, PI
"RFID for tracking livestocks" Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society Ltd. 2019, PI
"Multiphysical millimeterw-wave probe station," EPSRC ECR £49.6k, 2019, PI
"Feasibility studies on deploying a self-contained solar-hydraulic pilot power plant in a rural area in Bangladesh," Global Challenges Research Fund, £27.2K, 2018, PI
"Millimetre-wave on-wafer power and S-parameter measurements," Arralis Ltd, 2018-2019, £10k, PI
Current PhD students:
Michael Farage (Y3) "Reflectarray atnennas for remote mm-wave sensing" (1st supervisor)
Kaivan Karami (Y1) "Compact terahertz integrated circuits" (1st supervisor)
Yi Yi (Y1) "Graphene-based terahertz tunable modulators" (1st supervisor)
Aniket Dhongde (Y1) "RF GaN amplifiers" (2nd supervisor)
Current MEng/MSc Students:
Yang Yang "300 GHz imaging system"
Mingyan Zhong "THz multipliers I"
Siyuan Zhou "Underwater wireless communication system"
Yufei Ma "Underwater wireless charging system"
Mingxin Zheng "THz multipliers II"
Wei Zhang "RFID for tracking livestocks" (Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society Ltd )
Jialu Chen "Characterising dielectric properties of thin-film PMMA"
Current final year students
Current UG project students
Yihan Wang, Ruoye Wang, Di Zhang "Wireless energy harversting"
Zimo Zhao "Development of mmWave imaging system"
Former PhD students
2015-2018 Haris Votsi (Surrey)
Former visiting scholars:
2019: Dr. Ying Wang (Northwestern Polytechnical University )
2016-2017: Mr. Aihua Wu, HSRI， Mr. Chen Liu, HSRI
Former MEng/MSc Sudents
2018-2019: Muhammad Taha Ansari "RFID for tracking personal belongs"
Kavisha Jayathunge, Panagiotis Kamintzis, and Muhammad Taha Ansari "Wireless charging technology for underwater sensing"
2017-2018: Abu Inayat ，Asfand Tanwear，Kaivan Karami，Naeem Mannan，Zhivomir Arnaudov，Mohamed El Mustafa Ismail Omer "Hybrid solar hydraulic power generation system"
2017-2018: Anjeeshnu Das，Xiaoyi Guo，Yuyang Wang，Yi Yi，Zhenpei Zhou
Former undergraduate Students
2018-2019 Xiaotong Guo "Design of reflectarray antennas for next generation mobile communications" (FYP)
2018-2019 Jassim Alkuwari "Characterising thin-film materials at millimeterwave frequencies" (FYP)
2017-2018 Kwing Choy (FYP)
Real-time Computer Systems (Y3)
Microwave and millimeterwave circuit design (Y5, MSc, MEng)
Design Special Project Y5:
"Development of sensor platform for underwater applications" 2018-2019
"A standalone renewable energy power plant for uninterrupted electricity supply" 2017-2018
Final Year Project Y4:
1. RFID for tracking personal belonings
2. Frequency scanning antennas for remote sensing
3. characterising thin-film materials
EMPIR PlanarCal (€1.8M) 2015-2018
EMPIR MET5G (€1.6M) 2015-2018
EMRP MORSE (€2.4M) 2013-2016
DECC DGO2 (£0.9M) 2014