BARS 2011: CONFERENCE PROGRAMME
The finalised version of our Conference Programme is now available for you to download and view here:
Please note that the venue for Thursday 28th July is at the School of Critical Studies, Nos. 4 and 5, University Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QH
The venue for Friday, Saturday and Sunday 29th - 31st July is the Sir Charles Wilson Building and Gilmorehill Centre, 7-9 University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8NN
Getting to the Conference Venue:
On Foot : The University of Glasgow’s Gilmorehill Campus is about 20 minutes walk from the Queen Margaret Hall residences and a 15-minute walk from the Cairncross House residences. It is also within walking distance of the hotels and B&Bs we advertised on our website. For those of you with sat-nav phones, the venues’ postcodes are:
· University Gardens: G12 8QH
· Main Building: G12 8QQ
· Charles Wilson: G12 8NN
By bus : (the bus routes can take you along the bulk of the busy roads, but there will still be a 10 minute walk from the stop):
· The Number 66 bus travels down Great Western Road (towards the City Centre) from near the Queen Margaret Residences towards the University: you want to get off at the stop on Great Western Road before Belmont Lane. You then cross Great Western Road and head up Bank Street until you meet the Charles Wilson Building on the corner with Gibson Street.
· The Number 9 bus leaves from Sauchiehall Street near Cairncross House (after Derby Street): you want the stop just before Clayslaps Street, still on Sauchiehall Street. You then walk through Kelvingrove Park along Kelvin Way; the Charles Wilson Building is on the right as you emerge from Kelvin Way.
Getting to the City Centre:
By train : The Glasgow Underground has a station at Hillhead (18 on the map) and at Kelvinbridge (19 on the map). There is only one line – you need to travel on the Outside circle to Buchanan Street, which is the main pedestrianised shopping street. George Square is in the Merchant City part of town, near Glasgow’s Queen Street train station.
By bus : The Number 66 bus carries on from the Great Western Road before Belmont Lane stop into the City Centre. You want the Renfield Street before West George Street stop. You then turn left down West George Street that leads on to George Square.
Taxis are reasonably priced in Glasgow, especially if you share them.
· Glasgow Taxis (black cabs) is on 0141 429 7070
· You might also try West End Radio Cars on 0141 954 2000.