Computer technology for the accelerated discovery of drugs
A computer technology has been invented to accelerate drug discovery. It predicts locations in disease-associated biomolecules where drug molecules could bind, induce shape changes, and thereby bring the activity of the biomolecule under control.
A US drug discovery company, Serometrix, has exclusively licensed this technology and incorporated it within their core discovery process.
The impact upon them has been:
- A step change in their technical approach towards small molecule drug discovery
- Attraction of $227k venture capital funding for the new company direction
- Expansion of workforce (four new personnel by end of 2013)
- "Shaving years off" their discovery development programme
- Promising new drug leads
- Planned reduction of early trial compounds "from millions to hundreds".
First published: 17 December 2013