Presentation skills in the biomedical sciences BIOL5336
- Academic Session: 2020-21
- School: School of Life Sciences
- Credits: 10
- Level: Level 5 (SCQF level 11)
- Typically Offered: Semester 1
- Available to Visiting Students: Yes
- Available to Erasmus Students: No
Development of skills in oral presentation of scientific research.
This course takes place in semester 1 and is made up workshops and lectures.
Requirements of Entry
Scientific research oral presentation with powerpoint slides (75%)
Reflective writing assessment on scientific communication (25%)
This course aims to improve student skills in oral presentation skills to enable effective presentation of scientific research and be able to construct a presentation.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Course
By the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Effectively prepare, plan and structure an oral presentation.
2. Self-reflect on presentation performance
3. Generate PowerPoint slides which successfully illustrate the main points of the scientific presentation.
4. Adhere to strict timing requirements when presenting.
5. Communicate complicated scientific findings in a clear, engaging and understandable way.
6. Critically reflect on their scientific communication skills.
7. Work with colleagues effectively
Minimum Requirement for Award of Credits
Students must submit at least 75% by weight of the components (including examinations) of the course's summative assessment.