No Deal Brexit - travel update

No Deal Brexit – Travel Advice

There has been further guidance about travel in the European Union in the event of a "No Dea"l Brexit after 29 March 2019.

Please see

An extract of some of the advice is provided below but staff and students intending to travel from are strongly advised to check the website above:

Extract from UK Government website

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the rules for travelling or working in Europe will change after 29 March 2019.

The European Commission has proposed that in a no deal situation, if you are a British Citizen, you would not need a visa for short stays in the Schengen area or elsewhere in the EU. You would be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Visits to the Schengen area within the previous 180 days before your date of travel will count against the 90-day limit.

If you are intending to stay in the Schengen area for longer than 90 days, or your stay would take you over the 90 days in the 180-day limit, you may need to get a visa before you travel.

On arrival in the Schengen area, you may be asked to confirm that you have sufficient funds available for the duration of your stay. As non-EU nationals, different border control checks will apply, and you may also be asked to show a return or onward ticket. UK nationals would not have an ongoing right to use the separate lanes provided for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.

The 90-day visa-free period does not entitle you to work in the Schengen area. Most countries will require a visa and work permit.
You should check with the Embassy of the country where you plan to travel for what type of visa, if any, you will need.

Travel documents

  • check your passport here
  • the rules for travel to most countries in Europe change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. If your adult passport was issued over 9 years ago, you may be affected. You should use this tool to check your passport is still valid for your trip before booking travel
  • adult and child passports should have at least 6 months remaining from your date of travel. If you renewed your passport early, extra months would have been added to your new passport. These extra months will not count towards this so some passport holders will need to have more than 6 months remaining in order to travel

Consumer rights

  • using your mobile phone in the EU may be more expensive. Your mobile operator may not provide free roaming in the EU so check with them before you travel. Make sure you know how to turn off data roaming on your mobile if you are worried about being charged. Read more about using your mobile phone in the EU
  • if you intend to use a bank card or other financial services in the EU after exit, this may be affected. Read more about using a bank card, insurance or other financial service

Driving and other transport

Travel insurance

  • you should continue to take out appropriate travel insurance (including health cover) before travel abroad.

We advise that University travel insurance should be arranged. Further information on travel insurance is available on the University website via the following links:



We also advise students and staff to consider health insurance in EU countries in the event on no deal. Staff and students who are travelling on University business, and who have applied on-line for the University’s travel insurance for their trip, will continue to be covered for any health issues for the duration of their journey.

We will update you with further advice as this becomes available.

First published: 8 March 2019