Insurance and Risk - Collaborations

Staff who work on collaborations at the request of the University often have concerns regarding insurance cover. The University’s insurers have advised that the general position is as follows–   

  • Where the collaboration is actually a registered company/has a separate legal identity, the University’s insurers would expect that insurance will be provided by the entity itself rather than the University. In these instances staff should check to ensure that the company/entity has the necessary insurance in place.
  • Where the collaboration is “informal”, academics etc. are acting for the University and would, therefore, be covered by the University’s insurance policies.