Privacy Notice for Travel Insurance

Your personal data

The University of Glasgow will be what's known as the 'Data Controller' of your personal data processed in relation to arranging travel insurance for trips undertaken on the business on the University of Glasgow. This privacy notice will explain how the University of Glasgow will process your personal data.

Why we need it

We are collecting your basic personal data, such as name, email address/contact details and, where relevant, limited special categories data (e.g. other health data), in order to ensure that the necessary travel insurance can be arranged and that the University can contact you in the event of an emergency (e.g. a natural disaster in the territory that you are visiting). We will only collect data that we need in order to provide and oversee this service to you.

Legal basis for processing your data

We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. In this instance, the legal basis is -

  • Legitimate interests: To enable travel insurance to be arranged and to allow the University to provide a duty of care to the employee/student whilst he/she is travelling on University business
  • Explicit content: By volunteering information on your pre-existing health condition/marital status/spouse/child, you have explicitly consented to the collection and use of this special category of personal data

What we do with it and who we share it with

  • All the personal data you submit is processed by staff at the University of Glasgow in the United Kingdom. This data may also be shared with the University’s appointed broker (Arthur J Gallagher) and travel insurer (AIG Europe Limited UK) when it is required in order to secure the appropriate cover (e.g. trip involves travelling to an area that the Foreign & Commonwealth Office have advised against all travel to that particular region).

In addition,

  • All information is held on a database where access is restricted to only staff with a legitimate reason through the nature of their role in the University. Any paper records are stored in a locked cabinet with access restricted to staff within the University’s Insurance Section. 

How long do we keep it for?

Your data will be retained by the University for 12 months after the financial year in which the trip ended. After this time, data will be securely deleted.

What are your rights?*

You can request access to the information we process about you at any time. If at any point you believe the information we process relating to you is incorrect, you can request to see this information and may in some instances request to have it restricted, corrected or, erased. You may also have the right to object to the processing of data and the right to data portability.

If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact

* Please note that the ability to exercise these rights will vary and depend on the legal basis on which the process is being carried out.


If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact the University Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter.

Our Data Protection Officer can be contacted at

If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

Travel insurance - Students

Privacy Notice

‌‌Travel Insurance can be arranged for students provided they are undertaking travel on University related business.

Applications should be submitted as soon as travel arrangements have been finalised.

The policy will cover these individuals whilst on a journey either

1. Outside the United Kingdom

2. Within the United Kingdom, but only if -

  • it involves air travel, or
  • it involves an overnight stay

Please be aware that Personal travel insurance policies will not necessarily cover a business trip.

An additional premium is charged by the Insurers where an individual is planning to be overseas for more than twelve months (Long Term Secondments), or if the individual is likely to be participating in any hazardous activity. This cost needs to be met locally. Failure to advise the Finance Office of extended stays or hazardous activities, may result in the cover being deemed invalid by the Insurers. Students should note that this may also apply to travel to 'disturbed areas' (see below)

Duty of care to students travelling overseas on University business
(see duty of care page)

To arrange travel insurance:

Please complete a travel insurance form at least five full working days prior to departure.

Persons travelling to any of the following countries must also include a  or  (as applicable), at least ten full working days prior to departure -

Colombia, Iraq, Mexico, Nigeria, Philipines, Venezuela, Yemen, Afghanistan, Chechnya, Somalia or North Korea.

An insurance cover note for travel will be sent by email at least 2 days prior to departure, providing the travel insurance form has been submitted at least 5 full working days in advance of your trip.

Please note that you may not receive a cover note before your departure if you have submitted the on-line form less than 5 full working days prior to the commencement of your journey.


Students going abroad are responsible for ensuring that they are not travelling to an area that the Foreign Office is advising against (a 'disturbed area') - students should always check with the Foreign Office website ( before travelling.

If a student still wishes to travel to an area that the Foreign Office is advising against visiting for "all but essential travel", then he/she should obtain authority to undertake the journey from the Head of College/Secretary of Court. A Travel Risk Assessment must be undertaken before any decision is made. If the trip is duly authorised, then the individual should contact the Insurance Section to determine if special travel insurance is required as such a journey may not be covered by the existing group travel policy.

You may also wish to refer to the Policy Summary or our Frequently Asked Questions.