Covid-19 Accommodation FAQs

Can I still live in University accommodation if my program starts after September?

Yes, we will hold accommodation for people who have courses starting after September.  In the unlikely event that demand outstrips supply we will put you in touch with one of our private provider partners.

Will I need to pay for University accommodation during quarantine?

If you need to arrive prior to the start of your tenancy date for quarantine reasons you will not be charged any additional rent.

Will I be placed in a flat with other students starting at the same time as me? I’m concerned about arriving and everyone has already made friends.

Yes, in order to ensure cluster flats can be treated as “households” we will be allocating you with people due to arrive at the same time or within a few days of each other depending on travel arrangements.

Will I be charged for accommodation if my contract starts but intake is delayed or if I am not able to travel to the UK due to my country’s travel restrictions

No, if you have a contract for one of the University Residences the contract date will be adjusted in line with your study dates.

I am a Vet student and due to stay in catered accommodation – how will this work if we are social-distancing/quarantined?

All residents will be expected to follow any government guidance that is in place at the time, and appropriate steps will be taken in our working practices to abide with any guidance.

What would happen if myself or one of my flatmates gets the virus?

Living support and site managers will be able to support you if you are required to self-isolate and will keep in touch with you on a regular basis.   Once you and your flatmates move in together your flat will be deemed to be a household. Please see below current Government advice:

  • If you live with others, the person who has symptoms should stay at home for 10 days from the day their symptoms started. All other household members should isolate as a household for 14 days even if they don’t have symptoms themselves. The 14-day period starts from the first day the person had symptoms.
  • If others develop symptoms within the 14 days, they need to stay at home for 10 days from the day their symptoms started. They should do this even if it takes them over the 14-day isolation period.

What precautions will be taken in student accommodation to ensure student safety?

It will be a condition of occupancy that anyone taking up a tenancy will be required to comply with any guidance and advice given in relation to Covid 19. The Health and Wellbeing of all our residents and staff is paramount, and procedures to minimise risk will be implemented and strictly monitored.

How often will communal areas be cleaned?

Where cleaning services are provided within flats this will be provided on a weekly basis, there will be a strong focus on cleaning high traffic areas such as doors, corridors etc.

Can I return home whilst isolating, rather than remaining at my term-time address?

No, you should remain at your term-time address and isolate there along with other members of your ‘household’. Travelling to an alternative address risks the unnecessary spread of the virus. 

What do I need to do if I am contacted by the Test & Protect Team and informed that I am a close contact of a confirmed case?

You should notify the relevant residence site management team by email and then follow the guidance given to you by the Test & Protect Team, remaining in your residence for the required period of isolation.   

I am experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

If you have symptoms, however mild, you should remain in your accommodation and arrange to be tested at the first possible opportunity by visiting this website: 

You should not leave your accommodation for any reason other than to attend for a test and you should minimise contact with others in your ‘household’. You should notify all other members of your ‘household’ as they will also be required to quarantine for 14 days, unless you subsequently get a negative test result. 

The definition of ‘household’ will depend upon your accommodation but would normally include those students living in the same ‘clusterflat’, or those on the same floor who share cooking or washing facilities, or both. This will have been communicated to you at check-in, but if you are unsure you can contact your residence site team for clarification. The student induction for University of Glasgow residences will also cover protocols for residents around what constitutes a household for the purposes of isolation if required. 

You should notify and the local site reception that you have symptoms and that your household is in isolation - and also let them know your test result.

For more information and updated guidance about self-diagnosing COVID-19, accessing testing, reporting cases and advice on self-isolation you can also visit the University's Symptoms, Testing and Reporting web page.