International Exchange

For students coming to study at the University of Glasgow

Dr Carl Knight

Each year, Politics teaches dozens of students from countries around the world. We are happy to have you in our Honours classes.

Please bear in mind that places in Honours courses are limited and are allocated in conjunction with the requests from our home students. Exchange students are admitted to these advanced undergraduate courses based on their academic background in the social sciences.

In order to sit a Politics course above Level 1A or 1B, you must be cleared to enter the course by the subject. If you put down your preferences when you applied for the exchange programme to Glasgow, you probably were advised of your course admission at that time. If you did not receive permission previously, or if you are not sure, please email the Exchange & Erasmus Coordinator to request admission to a Politics course.

For a full list of Politics Honours courses, see the online course catalogue. Please note that Honours courses are advanced – roughly equivalent to upper level courses. Please also note that not all courses run in every session.

If you wish to take an Honours course in Politics, you must pre-enrol by submitting your course choices on your application form.

We admit most exchange students in our School to Level 1A or 1B Politics; as long as there is space you are very welcome. The Exchange & Erasmus Coordinator needs to pre-approve students for Level 2 study; virtually all students are eligible to sit Level 1 courses. More information on Level 1 and Level 2 courses

The University International Office provides a range of student support services.

For Glasgow students wanting to study abroad

Exchange & Erasmus Coordinator:
Dr Carl Knight

Politics has regular exchange programmes for the Junior year of Honours with universities around the world, including many in the United States, Australia and Canada. Virtually all of these work on a standard exchange basis – you pay your fees here at Glasgow and there is no additional tuition charge. Students are, however, responsible for their own travel expenses and living costs while abroad (with the exception of some mobility grants for study in Europe, but these are rather limited).

Planning for and applying to study abroad

First, explore the opportunities on the International Office's Study Abroad & Exchange webpages. You must attend the information sessions run by both Politics and RIO in order to be eligible to apply. You will then apply via the University exchanges system – so far, we have an excellent success rate!

All students entering honours Politics are eligible to study abroad during their junior honours year. This can be for one semester or the whole year. More information is available from the International Office and they can answer any of your questions about the practical aspects of studying abroad.


The deadlines for all study abroad applications (regardless of destination) is available on the Study Abroad webpage: Application deadlines and semester dates. Applications must be submitted via the online system to the International Office by then. You should arrange this well in advance to ensure that you are not trying to get approval at the last minute in the very busy time at the end of term.

Please contact Juliet Westwood for information and initial queries.