Professor Radostin Simitev
- Professor of Applied Mathematics (Mathematics)
- University of Glasgow, since 2006
- University of Liverpool, 2004 - 2006
- University of Bayreuth, 2000 - 2004
- CMath, Institute of Mathematics and Applications, 2017
- Dr. rer. nat. (PhD, Theoretical Physics), University of Bayreuth, 2004
- MSc (Physics), University of Sofia, 2000
- DipHE (Computer and Information Technologies), University of Mining and Geology, Sofia, 1998
My research interests are in two distinct branches of Applied Mathematics:
- Mathematical Physiology: the application of non-linear analysis, singular perturbation and asymptotic methods to study the properties of electrical waves in cardiac tissue and other excitable media.
- Fluid Dynamics and Magnetohydrodynamics: Convection in rotating systems and self-consistent hydromagnetic dynamo action. This research is motivated by applications to geo-, planetary, Solar and stellar magnetism.
For details, please, see my publication list further below, or at orcid.org/0000-0002-2207-5789.
STFC DiRAC supercomputing allocation grant "Consolidated grant: Dynamos in the Solar System", R Simitev (PI), D MacTaggart, R Teed, 2021-2024 (4.5M-CPU hours).
- HPC-Europa3 Transnational Access Grant, “Observationally-constrained 3D convective spherical models of the Solar dynamo”, HPC17K1Q9P, R Simitev (PI), 2020 (£ 15,000).
- EPSRC, The SofTMech Statistical Emulation and Translation Hub, D Husmeier (PI) XY Luo, RD SIMITEV, (CI at 7%) R Ogden, NA Hill, P Stewart, C Berry, G Smith, S McGynty, R Penta, H Gao, P Watton, R Clayton 2020-2024 (£ 1,225,134).
- EPSRC Centre for Multiscale soft tissue mechanics with MIT and POLIMI (SofTMech-MP), XY Luo (PI), RD SIMITEV, (CI at 7%) R Ogden NA Hill, D Husmeier, P Stewart, C Berry, G Smith, M Olson, H Yin, R Insall, M Chaplain, S McDougall, S McGynty, R Penta, 2020-2024 (£ 1,599,530).
EPSRC, Centre for Multiscale Soft Tissue Mechanics with applications to heart and cancer, R Ogden (PI), X Luo, N Hill, D Husmeier, RD SIMITEV (CI at 6%), P Stewart, C Berry, G Smith, M Olson, H Yin, R Insall, M Chaplain, S McDougall, P Watton, 2016 – 2019 (£ 2,498,870).
Edinburgh Mathematical Society (£1,600) and Glasgow Mathematical Journal Research Fund (£1,000), STFC (£2,000) - Conference Support Grants for organising UK MHD 2016, (total awarded £4,600).
The Carnegie Trust, Carnegie Research Grant, CI (PI - D MacTaggart), 2015 - 2016, (£ 4,900).
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Travel and Subsistence Grant, 2015 (£2,800).
The Carnegie Trust, Carnegie Research Grant, CI (PI - D MacTaggart), 2014, (£ 1,000).
London Mathematical Society (£3,000), Edinburgh Mathematical Society (£1,000) and Glasgow Mathematical Journal Research Fund (£2,000), STFC (£1,000) - Conference Support Grants for organising UK MHD 2013, (total awarded £7,000).
Leverhulme Trust, Research Project Grant, PI, 2013-2015, £147,661.
University of Glasgow, College of Science and Engineering, Small Equipment Grant, 2013, £10,222.
NASA Science Mission Directorate, Computing Resources Grant, joint with N. Mansour and G. Guerrero,approx $30,000, 2013.
University of Glasgow, Lord Kelvin and Adam Smith Scholarship, joint with M. Cartmell, A.~Workman, A. Rankin, 2013-2016, £131,360.
University of Glasgow, College of Science and Engineering, Research Fund, PI, 2012, £4,802.
Royal Society, Research Grant, PI, 2011-2012, £12,715.
Royal Society, International Joint Project, CI, joint with X. Luo, N.A. Hill, A. van Hirtum, 2011-2013, £12,000.
EPSRC KTA (Knowledge Transfer Application Grant)}, CI, joint with X. Luo, Devro Scotland plc, 2011, £ 39,269.
NORDITA Sweden, Subsistence and Conference Fees Grant, PI, 2011, £2,230.
CTR Stanford, Subsistence and Conference Fees Grant}, PI, 2010, £3,000.
Edinburgh Mathematical Society, Research and Visitor Grant, PI, 2010, £500.
USA National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA),"Living with a star" Research Grant, PI: F.H. Busse (UCLA, USA),Collaborators: R. Simitev, A. Kosovitchev, A. Brandenburg, 2009-2014, $657,100.
Edinburgh Mathematical Society, Research and Visitor Grant, PI, 2009, £800.
Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Subsistence and Conference Grant, PI, 2009, £450.
Royal Society,Conference Grant, PI,2008, £1,100.
Kavli Institute of Theoretial Physics, Santa Barbara, Subsistence and Conference Fees Grant, PI, 2008, £850.
British Council, Paris,International Travel and Research Grant, PI, joint with A. Van Hirtum, X. Luo, N.A. Hill, 2008--2010, £4,800.
Royal Society, Conference Grant}, PI, 2007, £960.
Royal Society, International Outgoing Travel Grant, PI, 2007, £930.
- Al Dawoud, Antesar Mohammed A
Mathematical modelling of electrophysiology in hearts with healed myocardial infarction scar
- Gupta, Parag
Modelling Differential Rotation and Related Properties of Stellar and Solar Dynamos
- Sarwar, Ayesha
The zoo of stellar and planetary dynamos
- Yang, Zhechao
Electrophysiological modelling of hearts with diseases
Current PhD Students
Ayesha Sarwar (started 2023)
Zhechao Yang (started 2022)
Parag Gupta (started 2020)
Antesar Al Dawoud (started 2020)
Past PD Research Associates
Dr James Mather (2018)
Dr Luis Silva (2013-2016)
Graduated PhD students
Dr Tahani Al Sariri (graduated 2023)
Dr Peter Mortensen (graduated in 2021)
Dr James Quinn (graduated in 2021)
Dr Muhamad Bin Noor Aziz (graduated in 2021)
Dr Ameneh Asgari-Targhi (graduated in 2017)
Dr Roberto Pintus (PhD Erasmus Exchange Cagliari; graduated 2011)
Other PGR students
Mr Mohammed Aiyashi, Started 2018 (PhD student), graduated 2019 (MSc)
Mr Stylianos Vasileiou (MSc, graduated 2016)
Mr Muhamad Bin Noor Aziz (MSc, graduated 2015)
2023/24: Biological and Physiological Fluid Dynamics (MATHS5044)
2022/23: Biological and Physiological Fluid Dynamics (MATHS5044)
Numerical Methods (MATHS4109)
2021/22: Biological and Physiological Fluid Dynamics (MATHS5044)
2019/20: Fluid Mechanics (MATHS4102)
2018/19: Numerical Methods (MATHS4109)
2015/16: Mathematical Methods (MATHS4075)
- Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (Full: 2022 - ; Assoc: 2016 - 2021).
- External Assessor for the 2021 Periodic Review of Mathematics at Liverpool Hope University (2021).
- Member of the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) Peer Review College (PRC) (2021 - ).
- External Examiner of Honours Applied Mathematics, School of Mathematics & Statistics, University of St Andrews, UK (2014 - 2019).
- Visiting Research Scholar at Stanford University (2013, 2012).
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2008 -).