Professor Michael Wemyss
- The Chair of Mathematics (Mathematics)
Algebraic geometry and its interactions, principally between noncommutative and homological algebra, resolutions of singularities, and the minimal model program. All related structures, including: deformation theory, derived categories, stability conditions, associated commutative and homological structures and their representation theory, curve invariants, McKay correspondence, Cohen--Macaulay modules, finite dimensional algebras and cluster-tilting theory.
Wemyss, M. (2018) Flops and clusters in the homological minimal model programme. Inventiones Mathematicae, 211(2), pp. 435-521. (doi: 10.1007/s00222-017-0750-4)
Iyama, O. and Wemyss, M. (2014) Maximal modifications and Auslander–Reiten duality for non-isolated singularities. Inventiones Mathematicae, 197(3), pp. 521-586. (doi: 10.1007/s00222-013-0491-y)
Iyama, O. and Wemyss, M. (2013) On the noncommutative Bondal–Orlov conjecture. Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik (Crelles Journal), 683, pp. 119-128. (doi: 10.1515/crelle-2012-0001)
- ERC Consolidator Grant, 2021-26.
- EPSRC Programme Grant "Enhancing Representation Theory, Noncommutative Algebra And Geometry Through Moduli, Stability And Deformations", 2018-24.
- GRAID Programme for PhD supervision in Uganda, 2019-2022, joint with David Ssevviiri.
I currently advise PhD students Caro, Brian, Sam, Zhang, Charlotte, Marina and Parth.
I am always interested in hearing from potential PhD students and postdocs, so feel free to contact me directly, or see the up-date information about supervision opportunities for both me and the wider group at our available supervisors page, and our positions page.
Professional activities & recognition
Prizes, awards & distinctions
- 2017: LMS Whitehead Prize (LMS)
- 2020: Adams Prize (Cambridge University)
- 2013 - 2021: EPSRC Early Career Fellowship, with 3 year extension
Grant committees & research advisory boards
- 2021: REF, Member, REF2021 Sub-panel 10: Mathematical Sciences
Professional & learned societies
- Chair, Glasgow Mathematical Journal Trust
- Chair, joint BMC/BAMC conference, Glasgow 2021