APPLICATIONS FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2023/24 ARE NOW CLOSED.
Applications will only be considered if the period of the proposed visit is for September 2024 onwards.
Visiting scholars from other institutions who wish to spend a period of time in the Law School are very welcome to apply via our standard visiting scholar scheme. Visits of up to 12 months are possible. The Law School normally charges a fee based on the length of time of the visit (see "fees" below). Visiting scholars can be supported by their institutions, by an external funding body or self-funded.
Please note that we only accept visiting scholars who can demonstrate that they have a specific reason to undertake their research project in Glasgow. This might be, for example, because they have research interests in common with a current member of staff, or because they wish to access research materials available at the University.
Office space is limited and applications are more likely to be accepted where:
- The research being undertaken has a close fit with the research interests of one or more current members of staff within the Law School.
- The applicant is supported by a current member of staff within the Law School.
- The applicant can demonstrate how their visit will enhance the research community of the Law School
Further details of our fees, application form and visa regulations can be found below.
Please email Marion.McGhee@glasgow.ac.uk if you have any questions
We accept visiting academics from a wide range of backgrounds and research fields. They can be either supported by their institutions or self-funded.
Please note that we do not accept postgraduate research students through this scheme. If you are a postgraduate research student wishing to visit the School, please apply through the University's Visiting Postgraduate Researcher Scheme.
How to apply
Anyone wishing to apply to our visiting scholar scheme must complete the below application form and send it, along with a short CV (no more than 2 pages) in an email to our administrator Marion McGhee: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and charges
Bench Fees of £150 per calendar month is normally charged, arrangements for payment can be made on arrival. Visits of less than one month will normally be charged at the monthly rate.
Visitors may apply for this fee to be waived; where a waiver is sought this request must be submitted along with the application. Waivers will ordinarily be granted to visitors from least developed, low-income and lower middle-income countiies. In other cases, the School will take account of the funding (if any) available to the researcher to support their visit.
Bench fees cover
- A University of Glasgow email address for the period of your stay
- A shared office/desk space (subject to availability)
- IT facilities and access to photocopying and printing facilities throughout the University
- Access to the University Library
- Access to electronic holdings, databases and journals to which the Law School subscribes
- Invitations to Law School events via the internal academic mailing list
All visitors coming into the UK must ensure they have the correct visa with which to enter the UK.
Please refer to these links on the UKVI website for up to date guidelines
Visit the UK as a Standard Visitor
In addition, Glasgow University HR Department have provided the undernoted checklist for Academic Visitors:
- Individual will not be employed by the University of Glasgow or enrolled as a Student
- Individual will not be filling a vacancy or working under the control of the University of Glasgow
- The University will not be hosting a formal research project in relation to activities
- Individual will not receive a salrary from the University during visit
- Individual may only carry out the permitted activities as defined in the Immigration Rules and will adhere to the terms and conditions visa
- At the end of visit, Individual returns to continue employment at home institution.