PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE NO CAPACITY TO ACCEPT ACADEMIC VISITORS UNTIL JANUARY 2025.
Applications will only be considered if the period of the proposed visit begins in or after January 2025.
Visiting scholars from other institutions who wish to spend a period of time in the Law School are welcome to apply via our standard visiting scholar scheme. Visits of up to 12 months are possible. The School normally charges a bench fee based on the length of time of the visit (see "Fees and charges" below). Visiting scholars can be supported by their institutions, by an external funding body or self-funded.
Please note that we only accept visiting scholars who are supported by an academic sponsor. This must be an existing member of academic staff at the University of Glasgow Law School. You should make contact with a potential sponsor before submitting an application. A full list of our staff members is available here and see here for details of the School's Research Groups and Research Themes.
Your application will only be supported by an academic sponsor where you have a specific reason to undertake your research in Glasgow, for example:
- The research being undertaken has a close fit with the research interests of your academic sponsor
- You want to work on a specific research project with your academic sponsor
- You can demonstrate how your visit will enhance the research community of the Law School
Further details of our fees, application form and visa regulations can be found below.
Please email Marion.McGhee@Glasgow.ac.uk if you have any questions.
We accept visiting academics from a wide range of backgrounds and research fields. We particularly welcome applications from scholars in the Global South and from least developed, low-income and lower middle-income countries (for whom we normally waive bench fees).
Please note that visitors must hold a doctorate or have equivalent research experience. We do not accept postgraduate research students through this scheme. If you are a postgraduate research student wishing to visit the School, please apply through the University's Visiting Postgraduate Researcher Scheme.
How to apply
Anyone wishing to apply to our visiting scholar scheme must complete the application form below. The form is in two parts. Sections 1, 2 and 3 must be completed by you. Section 4 must be completed by your academic sponsor, who will submit the form on your behalf.
Fees and charges
Bench Fees of £150 per calendar month is normally charged, arrangements for payment can be made on arrival. Visits of less than one month will normally be charged at the monthly rate.
Visitors may apply for this fee to be waived; where a waiver is sought this request must be submitted along with the application. Waivers will ordinarily be granted to visitors from least developed, low-income and lower middle-income countiies. In other cases, the School will take account of the funding (if any) available to the researcher to support their visit.
Bench fees cover
- A University of Glasgow email address for the period of your stay
- A shared office/desk space (subject to availability)
- IT facilities and access to photocopying and printing facilities throughout the University
- Access to the University Library
- Access to electronic holdings, databases and journals to which the Law School subscribes
- Invitations to Law School events via the internal academic mailing list
All visitors coming into the UK must ensure they have the correct visa with which to enter the UK.
Please refer to these links on the UKVI website for up to date guidelines
In addition, Glasgow University HR Department have provided the undernoted checklist for Academic Visitors:
- Individual will not be employed by the University of Glasgow or enrolled as a Student
- Individual will not be filling a vacancy or working under the control of the University of Glasgow
- The University will not be hosting a formal research project in relation to activities
- Individual will not receive a salrary from the University during visit
- Individual may only carry out the permitted activities as defined in the Immigration Rules and will adhere to the terms and conditions visa
- At the end of visit, Individual returns to continue employment at home institution.