Solutions focused research
Our solutions focused work produces frameworks and guidance documents on how to undertake high quality research methodology.
The work of the theme includes authorship of:
- MRC framework on developing and evaluating complex interventions
The current update is being led by our MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit and is due for publication in mid 2021.
- MRC guidance on using natural experiments to evaluate population health interventions
- MRC guidance on process evaluation of complex interventions
- Six steps in quality intervention development (6SQuID)
- Medical Research Council (MRC) Better Methods, Better Research funded project "Using surrogate outcomes: development of extensions to the CONSORT (Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials Reporting of randomised trials 2010"
- SPIRIT (Standard Protocol Items: Recommendations for Interventional Trials) 2013 guidance statements
We are also involved in developing further specific guidance on:
- the importance of context;
- exploratory trials; and
- health economic evaluation of complex interventions.