- SHW support for career progression
- SHW Athena Swan professional services group
- SHW Athena Swan career progression group
- Career development for professional services staff: training module for managers of PS staff
Athena Swan in SHW
Career journeys of professional services staff
The SHW Athena Swan professional services working group has compiled a series of case studies outlining the career journeys of SHW colleagues, past and present.
These highlight examples of:
- successful (and unsuccessful) regrading applications
- how working in a variety of roles can help to prepare us for future advancement
- the important contribution that pursuing training/learning opportunities can make to our long term development and progression
- navigating setbacks and disappointments
- gaining promotion by successfully applying for different jobs
"The learning during my secondment was extremely beneficial to bring back to my permanent role"
Long-time staff member in Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment and Public Health, RACHEL ALLAN, describes a 13-year journey from UofG temp to a recent return to full time education, and the variety of roles and experiences along the way that have helped to shape her future
"All of these changes meant I felt there was now a mismatch between my job description and the actual job I was doing"
Engagement and Communications Manager in the MRC/CSO Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, GILLIAN BELL, reflects on the experience of successfully applying for a regrading of her post
"I didn’t 'love' all my posts but I was learning different things in each one"
SHW Head of Professional Services, ASHA COSTIGAN, shares her 26-year career journey within UofG, and the experiences and opportunities that have enabled her to steadily progress