Dr Julien Le Kernec
- Senior Lecturer (Systems Power & Energy)
Future radar systems
With the growing overcrowding of the spectrum, new threats (e.g. UAVs near airports) and the need for spectrum reuse, there is a need in developing novel radar systems that can evolve in that environment and communicate amonst themselves. This starts with developing the radar spectrum sensing and actively communicating with neighboring radars or communication nodes to collaborate and fuse information. These functions have to be executed alongside radar functions and switch from on mode to another or combine several modes together in its operation via resource management . Having a software-defined radar platform to do this would mean that the radar could dynamically change its operating mode to fit the task at hand by acting via software on both hardware and processing configurations. We explore waveform design, MIMO, multi-static geometry, and polarisation to that end.
Activity Recognition and vital signs monitoring: healthcare and veterinary applications
Research applications include the analysis of human and animal radar signatures across different domains of data representations for classification and vital sign monitoring. This can be applied to classify different activities (walking, running, human interactions), as well as healthcare (e.g. fall detection, activities of daily living, and out-patient follow up care) and lameness assessment for precision livestock farming (cattle, sheep) and leisure/race horses.
I am always glad to discuss with good students research opportunities to come and study in Glasgow
The following link will guide to the currently available PhD opportunities.
- 2021-2023 - collaborative research fund one-off crf covid-19 and novel infectious disease exercise - hk$6,849,390 - c7174-20g - super reality for hands-on online education (co-i)
- jan 2021 - 42k€ - dim-rsi - smart_gait : mobility lab for the study of frailty (co-i)
- mar 2020 - £10k – seed meeting – french embassy in london - smart gait project – consortium meeting fund – french embasy in london.
- jan 2020 – dec 2021 - £7.5k – phc alliance - british council - campus france - imshape – university of glasgow – university cergy-pontoise, france
- jun 2019 - may 2020 - 110k€ - inex inshape: intelligent radio-frequency sensing for falls and health predictions - co-i with Dr. Fioranelli (co-i) and university cergy pontoise (france) Prof. Romain (pi)
- jan - jun 2019 - £3k - systems, power and energy division for industrial partnership development.
- jul 2018 - jun 2020 - 38k€ - phc cai yuanpei - 41457uk - inshape: intelligent radio-frequency sensing for falls and health predictions with university cergy pontoise (france) Prof. Romain and univeristy of electronic science and technology china with Prof. Qian and Ms Lin (phd) - funded by campus france and china scholarship council.
- may 2018 - £5,125 - chancellor fund - well: wireless equine lameness locator with rf sensing
- may 2018 - april 2019 - £9,961.28 - horse betting levy board - sprj30 - atlas: automated thoroughbred lameness assessment system at the racetrack or yard - pi with Dr. Fioranelli (co-i) and Dr. Voute (co-i)
- oct 2017 - oct 2018 - £9,800 - petplan trust pump priming grant - detection of horses' lameness with contactless radar sensors - co-i with Dr. Fioranelli (pi) and Dr. Voute (co-i).
- dec 2017 - £3k - support from the international partnership development funding to develop the collaboration between the school of engineering at uog and the etis lab at university of cergy-pontoise, france and university of electronics science and technology, chengdu, china.
- apr - dec 2017: phc xu guangqi 2017 - campus france - 6,540€ - "radar remote sensing to prevent falls in older and vulnerable adults".
current phd students:
- Mr Weirong Sun - a robust high-resolution technology based on data compression - sep 2020 - present - with Prof. Imran, Prof. Yang
- Mr Shuojie Wang - robotic arm wireless system control based on 5g - 2nd supervisor wirh Dr Zhao - oct 2019 - present
- Mr Kang Tan - machine learning in vehicular networks - 2nd supervisor with Dr Bremner - oct 2019 - present
- Miss Konstantina Linardopoulou (vet school) - developing robust methodologies to evaluate ruminant mobility with radar-based sensing - engineering co-supervisor with Prof. Jonsson, Dr. Viora, Dr. Abbasi, Dr. Fioranelli - oct 2019 - present
- Mr Zhenghui Li - deep learning for multidomain radar-based continuous human activity recognition for multiple targets - 1st supervisor with with Dr. Fioranelli and Prof. Imran - oct 2019 - present
- Mr Jarez Patel - innovative radar detection & classification of small uavs or drones - 1st supervisor with Dr. Fioranelli and Dr Anderson - university of glasgow/leonardo - oct 2017 - present
visiting phd students
- Mr Fawei Yang – “mimo radar and wideband arrays techniques for the detection, tracking and classification of low, slow, and small targets” – beijing institute of technology – visiting university of glasgow from oct 2019 to march 2020 with Dr. Fioranelli
- Dr. Changfeng Ren – “lower bounds on the mean square error : theory and applications in signal processing field” - ens cachan – 100% load - visited university of nottingham ningbo from 09/2014 to 11/2014 (3 months)
- Dr Chuanwei Ding - indoor monitoring based on biomedical radar - co-supervisor with Dr. Hong as 1st supervisor - nanjing university of science and technology - Graduated
former phd students
- Dr Aman Shrestha - radar micro-doppler for healthcare applications - 1st supervisor with Dr. Fioranelli - university of glasgow - oct 2016 - aug 2021
- Dr Haobo Li - wearable devices and radar for human activities monitoring and classification - 1st supervisor with Dr. Fioranelli and Dr Heidari - university of glasgow - graduated - 01/2021
- Dr Yier Lin - non-linear parameter estimation and classification of radar micro-doppler signatures - 2nd supervisor with Prof. Zhiqin Zhao as 1st supervisor- university of electronics science and technology of china - graduated - 06/2020
- Dr Francis Xavier Ochieng - the use of ground-based radar to monitor the deflections of wind turbine masts and blades - 2nd supervisor with Dr. Hancock as 1st supervisor - university of nottingham ningbo china - graduated 10/04/2019
former postoctoral staff
- Dr. Daniyal Haider – “design of a software radar for the early identification of gait failure in ehpad: application to fall detection” – (oct 2019 – feb 2020) – INEX caring - university cergy-pontoise with Prof. Romain
- Mr Petros Hadjichristodopoulou – RF waveforms for simultaneous applications in radar and communication domains - UoG, 2nd supervisor with Dr Fioranelli - sep 2017 - aug 2018
- Mr Charalampos Loukas - activities of daily life (adl) classification in multi-occupancy scenarios with radar and deep learning - co-supervised with Dr. Fioranelli and Dr. Yang. uog, oct 2017 - sep 2018.
- Mr Cameron Bennett - classification of UAVs in holographic radar, aveillant, 2019 - co-supervised with Dr. Fioranelli
- Mr Conor McHarg - ADAS radar - MEng placement at nxp, 2018 - co-supervised with Dr. Fioranelli
- Mr Joe Walker - digital electronics - MEng placement at cirrus 2018 - co-supervised with Dr. Bremner
- Mr Vlad Coman - radar absorbing metamaterials: active vs passive - MEng placement at onera, france - 2017 - 2nd supervisor with Dr. Fioranelli as 1st supervisor.
- Mr Charlie Owens - processor architecture analysis of task-based scheduling for airborne radar - MEng placement at leonardo uk(formerly selex) - 2017 - 2nd supervisor with Dr. Fioranelli as 1st supervisor.
- Linardopoulou, Konstantina
Lameness detection using contactless radio-frequency radar
- UESTC-UoG DTC: Signal Processing in Wireless Sensor Networks (Spring - starting 2021)
- UESTC3030: Engineering and the Law (Autumn since 2019)
- UESTC3001: Dynamics and Control (Spring Since 2016)
- UESTC3023: Professional Practice (Autumn 2017-2018)
- UESTC3030: Engineering and the Law - new product creation and business plan (Autumn 2018-2019)