Frequently Asked Advising Questions

Many of you will have specific questions that you would like to ask regarding academic and pastoral matters during your programmes of study. Please look through these frequently asked questions and make an appointment with your Advisor of Studies if you would like further advice or clarification on a matter.

Who is my Advisor of Studies?

The name of your Advisor of Studies will show up on your MyCampus page along with the email contact and phone number.

What will my Advisor of Studies do?

Your Advisor of Studies will provide you with advice on your course choices and will offer pastoral support throughout your University career.  Advisors can provide assistance on academic matters, personal issues, financial worries and help you access the wider sources of assistance or specialist support available in the University.

When will I meet my Advisor?

In years one and two of your programme they will meet with you twice a year, usually in September and again in January. Your Advisor will send you an email to set an appointment for a group meeting, where you can check your academic curriculum and credit loading.

In years three and four the service works on a self referral basis. Students experiencing any issues mentioned above should contact their Advisors for further advice.

How do I make an appointment to see my Advisor of Studies?

Please email your Advisor in the first instance and provide a brief overview of the issue you would like further advice on.

What do I do if I have an urgent problem?

If your problem is urgent please mark your email as urgent, and copy in the chief adviser of studies, Fiona Patrick ( Either your adviser or the chief adviser will get back to you as soon as possible. If you receive an out of office response from both your adviser and the chief adviser, please contact the generic student support email for the school of education ( 

Financial matters

The Registry can assist you with a wide range of enquiries, including money issues, degree examinations and graduation.

You can contact them via telephone and email, between 0900 and 1700, or for general enquiries go to the Student Services Enquiry Team, Level 2 in the Fraser Building. They are based at the Registry Enquiry Office, Level 2 in the Fraser Building, 65 Hillhead Street.

Where can I have my Council Tax Exemption form signed?

You should take your completed Council Tax form to the Registry Enquiry Office in the Fraser Building once you have your student card.

I am short of money, is there financial help available?

Yes, there is a University Hardship Fund. Consult the Registry's web pages on financial matters and discuss your eligibility for assistance with your Adviser of Studies.

Personal matters

I am not getting good marks for my assignments, what shall I do?

There is a Student Learning Service available to students who may need additional support with their academic studies. Please see  Advice is also available from your class tutor or course co-ordinator for the relevant course/subject.

The School of Education also has access to a Royal Literary Fund Writing Fellow, who can offer one to one sessions to discuss academic writing. Please contact the Fellow on

Room: 525, Level 5, St. Andrew's Building

What should I do if I have personal problems that impact on my studies?

The University offers a range of support services, such as the Student Counselling and Advisory Service and the Chaplaincy.  If you need further advice, please discuss your situation with your Advisor and remember to let your Programme Leader or course convenor know if the problem has had a direct impact on a specific course.

The Student Counselling and Advisory Service are located at 67 Southpark Avenue and are open from 900-1700 hours Monday to Friday. The Service also offers later night sessions on Thursdays till 8pm.  A variety of services are offered which include: group and individual counselling; self help materials and drop in sessions.

Please see the website for more information about this service.

School & Work Practice/Placement Issues

I think my school/work placement is too far away?

Please refer to the travel policy, which is contained in your year handbook.

I am having difficulties whilst out on school/work placement, what should I do?

It is important that you communicate these difficulties to your School Experience or Work Placement Tutor and discuss them or make them aware of your concerns. In certain circumstances it might them be suitable to discuss the issues further with your Advisor of Studies.

What happens if I am ill, whilst on practice/placement?

  1. Students meeting the General Teaching Council of Scotland Standard

All absences must be recorded with your placement school, the School Experience Office and MyCampus. If the illness is of a serious nature and requires a Doctor’s certificate, it is likely to impact on your ability to meet the GTCS standards, then you should notify your School Experience Tutor, the Programme Leader and Advisor of Studies. 

  1. Students meeting the CLD Standards Council, Scotland

In the case of BA Community Development students, if the illness and absence is likely to impact your ability to meet the practice requirements set by the Standards Council for CLD in Scotland, you must notify your Academic Tutor, the Programme Leader and Advisor of Studies.