Dr Christopher Hand
- Senior Lecturer in Psychology (School of Education)
I am a graduate of the University of Glasgow, having completed my undergraduate M.A. (2001-2005), M.Sc. (2005-2006), and Ph.D. (2006-2010) degrees in the (then) Department of Psychology (now School of Psychology and Neuroscience).
I am currently the Programme Leader for the BPS-accredited M.Sc. Psychological Studies conversion programme. Prior to joining the School of Education, I worked as Lecturer (2009-2013) and Senior Lecturer in Psychology (2013-2015) at the University of Bedfordshire, where I led the B.Sc. Psychology and Criminal Behaviour programme, as well as leading the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences' Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) programmes.
Between 2015 and 2021, I worked at Glasgow Caledonian University as a Lecturer in Psychology and the Programme Leader of the B.Sc. Applied Psychology pathway.
I joined the School of Education at the University of Glasgow in July 2021.
I have extensive experience of designing and delivering teaching, learning, and assessment activities, of quality assurance practices, and of leadership in Higher Education. I have supervised multiple Ph.D. students through successful completion, and countless M.Sc. student research projects.
I currently serve as External Examiner for undergraduate and postgraduate Psychology programmes at both the University of Northampton and University College London.
Previously, I have acted as both an internal and external examiner for Ph.D. candidates in the UK and internationally, and have acted as an internal and external panel member for new programme approvals, re-validation events, etc.
Additionally, I maintain a highly active research profile, with a broad network of collaborators within the UK and beyond.
Outside of academia, I have a passion for music, food / cookery, travel, and comedy. I enjoy trivia and quizzes. I am a sports fan. I am afraid of street pigeons.
My research interests involve the application of key psychological theories and concepts to applied, real-world challenges, including in education.
Current Research Projects
Cyberabuse: Victim-blaming, perceived incident severity, and observer characteristics.
Emoji: the interplay between written language and emoji / digital faces - perceptions of message/text, emoji, sender characteristics.
Psycholinguistics: the role of context in written language processing and its interplay with other variables; bi- and multi-lingual processors of language.
Cognition: the impact of trauma on memory and cognition, including the effects of alcohol pre-, peri-, and post-trauma [n.b., this includes the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as a trauma event]
Scholarship: assessment and feedback practices; peer-assisted student support; widening access and participation; digital learning technologies
A Class Act: Developing Present Pal app-based interventions to foster inclusion and alleviate presentation anxiety in students with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) and disabilities. Scottish Funding Council Innovation Voucher (£5,000 + £2,000 company contribution). Hand, C.J. (2020-21).
The effects of COVID-19 isolation on Scottish adults’ cognitive abilities. Chief Scientist’s Office (Scotland) (£19,910). Ingram, J., Hand, C.J., & Maciejewski, G. (2020-21).
The impact of COVID-19 restrictions on cognitive function in Scotland and Japan. Royal Society of Edinburgh SAPHIRE award (£5,788.00). Ingram, J., Maciejewski, G., Hijikata, Y., & Hand, C.J. (2020-21).
N.B. I am currently (as of June 2022) unable to accept new Ph.D. supervisees.
I would welcome enquiries to supervise research students with interests in:
- Online impression formation
- Cyberbullying / cyberabuse
- Intimate image sharing
- The processing of written information
- Eye movements in reading
- Event-related potentials in reading
- Assessment and Feedback in Education and Beyond
- Digital Learning Technologies
Research Methods and Analysis
Physiology of Behaviour
Professional activities & recognition
Professional & learned societies
- 2018: Member, Experimental Psychology Society
- 2017: Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- 2013: Member, Accredited Trainer, UK PASS Network
Selected international presentations
- 2018: 8th China International Conference on Eye Movements (Nanjing, PR China)
- 2017: 19th European Conference on Eye Movements (Wuppertal, Germany)
- 2016: UKRI China Researcher Links Workshop (Tianjin, PR China)
- 2014: Annual Meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (Austin, TX)
- 2013: 17th European Conference on Eye Movements (Lund, Sweden)
- 2013: European Conference of Educational Research (Istanbul, Turkey)
- 2013: 11th Symposium of Psycholinguistics (Tenerife, Spain)
- 2011: 16th European Conference on Eye Movements (Marseille, France)
- 2008: 49th Annual Meeting of The Psychonomic Society (Chicago, IL)
- 2007: 13th Annual AMLaP Conference (Turku, Finland)
- 2006: 47th Annual Meeting of The Psychonomic Society (Houston, TX)
- 2006: 12th Annual AMLaP Conference (Nijmegen, Netherlands)
- Member, Experimental Psychology Society
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy / Advance HE (initial Fellowship November 2012)
- Accredited Trainer; UK PASS Network, University of Manchester