With members of the academic staff, STELLA introduced computing into undergraduate courses in English. From the beginning, principles important to us have been to use the technology to complement and enhance teaching, not to replace it, and to ensure that computers are used in ways relevant to our teaching methods and course content, as opposed to introducing computer techniques just because they are possible.
The following teaching packages are available to use in your browser or can be installed as apps on iOS and Android devices:
- ARIES: Assisted Revision in English Style - designed to help you achieve competence in written style by improving your skills in punctuation and spelling
- The Basics of English Metre - helps you to understand the abstract, ideal, or underlying patterns that act as a template for a line of verse
- English Grammar: An Introduction - introduces you to the basic concepts underlying the grammar of Modern English
- Essentials of Old English - provides a short, structured linguistic account of Old English and a series of interactive exercises to test your knowledge
- Readings in Early English - consists of a set of readings of Early English texts. The texts are divided into three Sections: Section A (Old English Texts), Section B (Middle English Texts) and Section C (Early Modern English Texts)
- A Bibliography of Scottish Literature
- Accent Change in Glaswegian: A sociophonetic investigation
- Analytical Index to the Publications of the International Phonetic Assosication 1886-2006
- The Anglo-Saxon Plant-Name Survey
- The Glasgow Review
- Scots Teaching and Resource Network (STARN)
Be aware that some of the resources listed below may not function properly in modern web browsers.