Dr Matthew Barr
- Lecturer - Graduate Level Apprenticeship Programme (Computing Science)
- Learning and Teaching
- Student Employability
- Graduate Attributes
- Game Studies
- Game-based Learning
- Creative Scotland/ESRC Impact Acceleration: Data provision on the Games Industry in Scotland
- ESRC Impact Acceleration: Business Model Change for Games Development Businesses
- ESRC Impact Acceleration: Game Think 2.0
- RCUK Digital Economy/Communities and Culture Network+: Games for Communication
- AHRC Social Media Knowledge Exchange Scholarship, University of Cambridge Digital Humanities Network (CDHN) and the Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH): WikiGeeks - Gaming and Collaborative Learning
- New Initiatives Fund, University of Glasgow: Video Games & Learning Symposium
- The William Lind Foundation: Scotland's Video Game Industry
- New Initiatives Fund, University of Glasgow: Press Start journal launch
I have also secured a number of smaller grants to support my research, including a College of Arts Graduate School Research Support Award and School of Humanities Research Incentivisation Funding.
- Copeland, Alicia
Creating Worlds with Words - How Language is Used in Fantasy Roleplaying Games to Create Immersive Environments
- University Teaching Excellence Award 2015/16
- College of Arts Teaching Excellence Award 2015/16
- Previously convened Introduction to Video Game Studies, Multimedia Analysis and Design and the MSc IT course, Multimedia Systems
- Also contributed teaching to Level 1 and 2 Digital Media & Information Studies
- Senior Fellow, Recognising Excellence in Teaching (RET)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Vice Chair of DiGRA UK
- Board Member at IGDA Scotland
- Founding Editor of Press Start
- College of Science & Engineering Ethics Committee
- Member of the British Computer Society
- Member of DiGRA
- Member of IGDA
- Member of ECREA
- Expert Evaluator and Monitor for EC Horizon 2020
- STEM Ambassador (Video Games) for UKIE/STEMNET
- Adviser of Studies
- College of Arts Library Committee
- College of Arts Ethics Committee
- Elected Member of Senate
- School of Humanities Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
Previously acted as reviewer for the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), SIGCSE (ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education), Computers & Education, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Games and Culture, the Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds, the Journal of Virtual Worlds Research, the International Journal of Digital Curation, the ICA Game Studies Interest Group, DiGRA, Foundations of Digital Games (FDG), Computers and the History of Art (CHArt), the Higher Education Academy, and Computers in Human Behavior.
- BBC Timeline, BBC Two Scotland, 28th June 2018 (on games industry and gender diversity).
- BBC News, 5th June, 2017. Video games could boost university skills, study finds.
- Times Higher Education, 5th June, 2017. Playing video games ‘improves students’ employability skills’.
- The Telegraph, 5th June, 2017. Playing two hours of video games a week makes you more employable, Glasgow academics find.
- BBC Radio Scotland, 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- Clyde 1, 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- 938LIVE (Singapore), 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- Share Radio, 31st January, 2017. Share Radio Afternoon (on the history of Namco and Pac-man).
- Share Radio, 15th June, 2016. Morning Money (on the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3)).
- Radio EduTALK, 15th March, 2016 (on my research in game-based learning, the HATII Game Studies course and the Press Start journal).
- La Liberté, 7th March, 2016. L’Ecosse, eldorado du jeu vidéo (on the success of the Scottish games industry).
- Share Radio, 25th February, 2016. Morning Money (on the future of the video games industry and VR).
- Huffington Post, 9th February, 2016. The Division And Destiny Aren't Just Video Games - They're The Future Of Social Networks (on the positive outcomes associated with playing online video games).
- Share Radio, 20th January, 2016. Morning Money (on the growth of the mobile games market).
- Daily Record, 5th November, 2015. 20 years of PlayStation: Industry experts and gamers pick their favourite games to mark occasion (on thatgamecompany's Journey).
- Epoch Times, 4th April, 2014. Why New Yorkers Crave ‘Candy Crush’.