Dr Matthew Barr
- Lecturer - Graduate Level Apprenticeship Programme (Computing Science)
- Learning and Teaching
- Student Employability
- Graduate Attributes
- Game Studies
- Game-based Learning
- Creative Scotland/ESRC Impact Acceleration: Data provision on the Games Industry in Scotland
- ESRC Impact Acceleration: Business Model Change for Games Development Businesses
- ESRC Impact Acceleration: Game Think 2.0
- RCUK Digital Economy/Communities and Culture Network+: Games for Communication
- AHRC Social Media Knowledge Exchange Scholarship, University of Cambridge Digital Humanities Network (CDHN) and the Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH): WikiGeeks - Gaming and Collaborative Learning
- New Initiatives Fund, University of Glasgow: Video Games & Learning Symposium
- The William Lind Foundation: Scotland's Video Game Industry
- New Initiatives Fund, University of Glasgow: Press Start journal launch
I have also secured a number of smaller grants to support my research, including a College of Arts Graduate School Research Support Award and School of Humanities Research Incentivisation Funding.
- Copeland, Alicia
Creating Worlds with Words - How Language is Used in Fantasy Roleplaying Games to Create Immersive Environments
- University Teaching Excellence Award 2015/16
- College of Arts Teaching Excellence Award 2015/16
- Previously convened Introduction to Video Game Studies, Multimedia Analysis and Design and the MSc IT course, Multimedia Systems
- Also contributed teaching to Level 1 and 2 Digital Media & Information Studies
- Senior Fellow, Recognising Excellence in Teaching (RET)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Vice Chair of British DiGRA
- Board Member at IGDA Scotland
- Founding Editor of Press Start
- College of Science & Engineering Ethics Committee
- Member of the British Computer Society
- Member of DiGRA
- Member of IGDA
- Expert Evaluator and Monitor for the European Commission
- STEM Ambassador (Video Games) for UKIE/STEMNET
- Adviser of Studies
- College of Arts Library Committee
- College of Arts Ethics Committee
- Elected Member of Senate
- School of Humanities Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team
Invited talks include British DiGRA (keynote), the European Trade Union Institute, University of Toronto, Staffordshire University, University of Bath, Abertay University, Bournemouth University, and University of Plymouth.
I have previously acted as reviewer for: funding bodies including the European Commission (as Expert Evaluator and Monitor), the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), and the Higher Education Academy (HEA); journals including the British Journal of Educational Technology, Higher Education, the International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, the Journal of Virtual Worlds Research, Computers and the History of Art (CHArt), Research in Learning Technology, Computers in Human Behavior, Computers & Education, the Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds, and Games & Culture; conferences including the Foundations of Digital Games (FDG), DiGRA, and the ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE); and publishers including Palgrave and SAGE.
- BBC Timeline, BBC Two Scotland, 28th June 2018 (on games industry and gender diversity).
- BBC News, 5th June, 2017. Video games could boost university skills, study finds.
- Times Higher Education, 5th June, 2017. Playing video games ‘improves students’ employability skills’.
- The Telegraph, 5th June, 2017. Playing two hours of video games a week makes you more employable, Glasgow academics find.
- BBC Radio Scotland, 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- Clyde 1, 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- 938LIVE (Singapore), 5th June, 2017 (on game-based learning research).
- Share Radio, 31st January, 2017. Share Radio Afternoon (on the history of Namco and Pac-man).
- Share Radio, 15th June, 2016. Morning Money (on the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3)).
- Radio EduTALK, 15th March, 2016 (on my research in game-based learning, the HATII Game Studies course and the Press Start journal).
- La Liberté, 7th March, 2016. L’Ecosse, eldorado du jeu vidéo (on the success of the Scottish games industry).
- Share Radio, 25th February, 2016. Morning Money (on the future of the video games industry and VR).
- Huffington Post, 9th February, 2016. The Division And Destiny Aren't Just Video Games - They're The Future Of Social Networks (on the positive outcomes associated with playing online video games).
- Share Radio, 20th January, 2016. Morning Money (on the growth of the mobile games market).
- Daily Record, 5th November, 2015. 20 years of PlayStation: Industry experts and gamers pick their favourite games to mark occasion (on thatgamecompany's Journey).
- Epoch Times, 4th April, 2014. Why New Yorkers Crave ‘Candy Crush’.