Dr Bjorn Jensen
- Honorary Research Fellow (School of Computing Science)
SAWB, Room 306, School of Computing Science
I (Bjørn Sand Jensen) was a Lecturer in the Information, Data and Analysis Section in the School of Computing Science, University of Glasgow, from May 2016 to October 2021.
As of 1st November 2021, I am an Associate Professor at the Technical University of Denmark and an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow.
- Probabilistic (/Bayesian) machine learning
- Planning/sequential decision-making under uncertainty (using principles from reinforcement learning, including Bayesian optimisation)
- Audio processing and modelling
- Eliciting and modelling human decision-making
- Bayesian non-parametrics (especially Gaussian processes)
- Uncertainty quantification in scientific inquiry (e.g. biological image analysis and digital humanities)
Current funding (as of November 2021):
- KTP (Innovate UK) project, £178k with industry partner Qumodo, Frank Pollick and Paul Siebert.
- CRUK-funded project: A high-content platform for cellular mechanobiology in cancer research (PI: Nikolaj Gadegaard, ~£200k, my ownership 30%).
- EPSRC-funded project: Closed-loop data science (PI: Roderick Murray-Smith, total ~£3M, my ownership: 4%)) https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/computing/research/researchsections/ida-section/closedloop/
Prospective PhD Students: I am currently an Honorary Research Fellow and I am NOT accepting students at the University of Glasgow. I would encourage you to visit the School's PGR website to find other potential supervisors/projects.
I am currently co-supervising the following postgraduate research students at UofG:
- Yanni Ji 2019- (PhD) funded by the CSC (with Dr Ke Yuan).
- Ogechi Onuoha 2021- (PhD) (with Paul Siebert and Frank Pollick)
- Charvet, Valentin
Reinforcement Learning in Closed-loop data science
- He, Zhuo
Generalized Machine Learning with limited Training Data
Completed postgraduate research projects (PhD and MSc by research):
- Anders Kirk Uhrenholt, 2017-2021 (primary supervisor), funded by the College of Science and Engineering.
- Marie F. Cutiongco, 2019, PhD (co-supervisor, Biomedical engineering, main supervisor: Nikolaj Gadegaard), Correlating single cell form and function under the influence of nanotopography.
- Jasper Kirton-Wingate, October 2018-2019 (MSc by Research with Widex a/s)
- Fatma A.I. Elsafoury, 2019, joint supervisor (with Simon Rogers and Chris Claassen), Measuring and Accounting for Spatial and Temporal Trends in Electoral Violence.
- 2020-2021: Artificial Intelligence COMPSCI4004 H (Semester 1)
- 2019-2020: Introduction to Data Science and System COMPSCI 5087 (M) (Semester 1), with Dr Jeff Dalton and Dr Nikos Ntarmos.
- 2019-2020: Artificial Intelligence COMPSCI4004 / COMPCI5987 M/H (Semester 1)
- 2018-2019: Artificial Intelligence COMPSCI4004 (Semester 2)
- 2018-2019: Music Curation and Analysis (H) ARTMED4038 (Semester 1, three lectures), with Dr Tim Duguid
- 2018-2019: Software Engineering (M) COMPSCI5059 (Semester 2), with Dr Ke Yuan
- 2017-2018: Artificial Intelligence COMPSCI4004 (Semester 1)
- 2017-2018: Software Engineering (M) COMPSCI5059 (Semester 2), with Dr Ke Yuan
- 2016-2017: Artificial Intelligence COMPSCI4004 (Semester 1)
MSci projects (representative examples):
- Variational Inference in Bayesian Inverse Reinforcement Learning, P.D., 2018-2019.
- Machine learning for understanding human decision-making, P.C., 2017-2018.
- Data-efficient reinforcement learning, G.R., 2017-2018.
MSc projects (representative examples):
- Representation Learning with Sparse VAE for Single-Cell Images, A.R. 2020
- Tangent propagation for environmental sound classification, B.H., 2020
- Accelerating Image-Based Cell Profiling with Machine Learning, L.L, 2018 [best project award]
- Perceptual Embeddings of Music Objects using Machine Learning, H. W., 2017
- A toolbox for performance modelling and selection of dense neural network architectures, F. B., 2017
Honors projects (i.e. final year projects - representative examples)
- Preference Elicitation for Music using Spoken Dialogue Systems, M.B, 2017-2018.
- Hybrid Music Recommendation, A.G., 2017-2018
- Interactive Machine Learning for Time Series Prediction, B.A., 2017-2018
- Neural Networks for Dialogue Systems, Z.I, 2017-2018
Summer internships (representative examples):
- Generative modelling and representation learning for audio, S.M., Summer 2019 (funded by SoCS)
- Deep Learning for Image Analysis of Biological Cells, M.D., 2017
Local activities (UofG)
- 2016-2021 : Member of the Research Student Committee in the School of Computing Science.
Reviewer / programme committee:
- I am a recurrent reviewer for NeurIPS (formerly NIPS), AISTATS, ICML, ICLR, UAI, MLSP, ICASSP, ICMI, IEEE Affective Computing.