Welcome from the Head of School of Chemistry
Research activity has recently been streamlined into six areas of activity: Chemical Biology and Precision Synthesis; Complex Chemistry; Chemical Photonics; Energy Conversion and Storage; Heterogeneous Catalysis; and Supramolecular, Electronic & Magnetic Systems. World-leading outputs in leading peer-reviewed journals (such as Nature and Science) have arisen from research recently undertaken within the School and, in addition, much of the research has significant societal and commercial impact. The quality of the research being undertaken has allowed the portfolio of research grants awarded from RCUK, EU, charities, and industry to rapidly expand over recent years. The School provides a superb research environment to undertake a range of vibrant PhD programmes, which has allowed the School to attract talented students and researchers from across the globe and form a diverse range of backgrounds. The School houses a wide range of cutting-edge research equipment, which underpins the research activity within the School.
The School provides an exciting range of taught undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. The excellent academic and transferrable-skills training provided by these programmes has ensured that our graduates readily gain further employment in academia and industry.
Looking forward, the School aims to build upon its success over the coming few years to further cement its position as a leading institution to study chemistry and undertake cutting-edge chemistry research.
Professor Graeme Cooke
Head of the School of Chemistry
The School of Chemistry in 2019
Over the past decade, the School has undergone a renaissance by marked improvement in research performance, appointment of high-quality academic staff, expansion of postgraduate numbers, establishment of WestCHEM, and consolidation of our undergraduate base and expansion into postgraduate teaching. Since 2010:
- The School has doubled its research grant income.
- Postgraduate student numbers are at an all-time high (>120).
- Our undergraduate programmes are flourishing with 70% of MSci students in 2016 graduated with a 2:1 or above, and in recent years, significant improvement in our NSS score has occurred.
Our vision and strategy for the future
The School of Chemistry has the ambition to become a UK top-10 research-led chemistry school. In particular we aim to:
- Further increase research grant income.
- Continue to increase the number of internationally leading papers.
- Appoint new academic staff (expanding to 45) to rival the best departments.
- Continue to expand our postgraduate student numbers.
- Expand our trans-national education.
- Improve the quality and expand the research and teaching space within the School.
- Continue to provide high-quality undergraduate teaching programmes
- For general enquiries, the School telephone number is +44 (0)141 330 4708.
- For Undergraduate enquiries, please email: email@example.com
- For Postgraduate enquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To contact us about the website, please email: email@example.com
- Contact details and information on specific academic staff members