About the School of Chemistry
Welcome from the Head of School
Thank you for your interest in the School of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow. The School provides an exciting range of undergraduate and postgraduate taught degree programmes, as well as a superb research environment to undertake a range of vibrant PhD programmes. This has allowed the School to attract talented students and researchers from across the globe and from a diverse range of backgrounds. The School houses a wide range of cutting-edge research equipment, which underpins the research activity within the School. Looking forward, the School aims to build upon its success to further cement its position as a leading institution to study chemistry and undertake cutting-edge research. I look forward to welcoming you to the School.
Professor Graeme Cooke
Head of the School of Chemistry
Our rankings and awards
The School has an excellent national and international reputation. We are currently ranked as follows:
- 11th best university in the UK (Times Higher Education 2020)
- A world Top 100 university (Times Higher Education 2020)
- "One of the top research universities in the UK" (Times Higher Education)
The School has enjoyed a healthy research income over recent years. We regularly publish world-leading research in top journals such as Nature and Science. The School has six main research groupings:
Athena SWAN Bronze Award
The School is the proud holder of an Athena SWAN Bronze Award, highlighting our commitment to equality and diversity within the School.
We have a diverse mix of staff and students from all over the world.
Visit our Equality and Diversity pages to learn more about the School's initiatives.
Recent School statistics
Over the past decade the School has significantly improved its research performance, appointed high-quality academic staff, expanded its postgraduate numbers and established WestCHEM. Additionally, since 2010:
- The School has doubled its research grant income.
- Postgraduate student numbers are at an all-time high (>120).
- Our undergraduate programmes are flourishing with 70% of MSci students in 2016 graduating with a 2:1 or above
Our vision for the future
The School of Chemistry aims to:
- Further increase research grant income
- Continue to increase our number of internationally leading papers
- Appoint new academic staff to rival the best departments
- Continue to expand our postgraduate student numbers
- Expand our trans-national education
- Improve the quality and size of research and teaching spaces
- Continue to provide high-quality undergraduate teaching programmes
The School of Chemistry
Joseph Black Building
Glasgow G12 8QQ