Professor Yannis Tsalavoutas
- Professor (Accounting & Finance)
After completing his undergraduate studies at the Technological Educational Institute of Athens (BSc in Business Administration), Yannis undertook the MBA Programme at the University of Stirling with specialisation in Corporate Finance. In November 2009, he completed his PhD in Accounting at the University of Edinburgh. Yannis' work experience includes positions as an accounting assistant (in Greece) and as a financial accounting and reporting analyst at Company Reporting Ltd in Edinburgh. Prior to joining the University of Glasgow in January 2015, Yannis was a Lecturer in Accounting at the University of Stirling.
In parallel to his current post at the University of Glasgow, Yannis is:
- a member of the ACCA Global Forum for Corporate Reporting
- a member of the ICAS Corporate & Financial Reporting Panel
- Chair of the European Financial Reporting Network (EUFIN)
- Section Editor for Accounting and Finance for European Management Journal
- founder and leader of the Adam Smith Observatory of Corporate Reporting Practices
Yannis is a member of the School's Accounting research cluster.
His research has been published in many international journals including, Accounting and Business Research, British Accounting Review, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting and Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
Areas of expertise:
- Financial accounting and reporting (with an appeal to practitioners, investors and the academic community). In particular, investigating companies' reporting practices under International Financial Reporting Standards across different jurisdictions, along with any economic consequences that may arise from divergence in practice;
- Corporate governance as an influential factor for companies' financial reporting practices.
- ACCA, November, 2020 (lead applicant; with D.Dionysiou, R.Slack and F.Tsoligkas): £7,200
- ACCA, July, 2020 (lead applicant; with A.Constantatos, D.Baboukardos, D.Dionysiou, R.Slack and F.Tsoligkas): £9,600
- ICAS, December, 2019 (with M.Aleksanyan, S.Abhayawansa, and K.Lee): £17,200
- ACCA, February, 2017 (lead applicant; with F.Mazzi, R.Slack and F.Tsoligkas): £19,700
- ICAS, December 2016 (with C.Paisey and N.Paisey): £16,891
- Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, November 2011 (sole applicant): £2,200
- ACCA, May 2011 (lead applicant; with P.André and D.Dionysiou): £15,970
- ICAS, May 2011 (lead applicant; with P.André and D.Dionysiou): £1,980
- Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, July 2010 (sole applicant): £2,120
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh, March 2010 (sole applicant): £2,130
- ICAS, January 2010 (lead applicant; with D.Dionysiou): £750
- Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, November 2009 (sole applicant): £950
- ICAS, May 2006 (with L.Evans): £750
Yannis would be interested in supervising doctoral students who would be willing to work in the following broad areas of research:
- Value relevance of accounting information;
- determinants and consequences of mandatory disclosure requirements;
- enforcement of international accounting regulation;
- corporate governance;
- the effects of professional and social networks on investment decision making.
Current doctoral supervision
- Farhod, Ahmed
The Impact of Financial Reporting Quality on Risk Composition, Stock Returns and Trading Volume
- Gunn, Douglas
Revisiting the link between board social capital and organisational performance: the role of corruption, generalised trust and religiosity.
- Kokkinos, Sotirios
“Essays on debt market consequences of audit reporting and audit services”
- Li, Yaohua
Analysts’ herding behavior:A new test using textual analysis
- Seretis, Evangelos
Analysts’ perception of information in the Solvency an Financial Condition Reports by Insurance firms in the European Union
- Khadija Almaghrabi (now at King Abdul-Aziz University)
- Zaneta Azuma (now at Coventry University)
- Anna-Fani Constantatos (now at Deree College/American College of Greece)
- Mohamed Esmail Elmaghrabi (now at Damietta University)
- Hany Mohamed Aziz Elzahar (now at Arab Open University)
- Angelos Synapis (now at Coventry University)
Yannis is currently teaching Advanced Financial Accounting at undergraduate level. He also teaches International Financial Accounting for Multi-National Companies at postgraduate level.
Past teaching experience
- Financial Reporting
- Topics in International Accounting
- Accounting and Finance
- Financial Analysis
- Accounting and Finance for MBA programmes.
- Financial Reporting and Financial and Management Accounting.
Editorial Board Memberships
- Accounting in Europe (since Jan 2014)
- Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation (since Apr 2020)
- The British Accounting Review (since Feb 2021)
- The International Journal of Accounting (since Mar 2021)