Dr Paula Karlsson-Brown
- Lecturer in Management (Management)
Paula joined Adam Smith Business School in 2016. She is interested in third sector management, with a specific interest in partnerships involving public and third sector organisations, risk management and societal resilience. She also engages in numerous scholarship projects, including education in the digital age, and how the learning community can be improved for students.
Paula is a member of the Services and Operations Management research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Partnership working
- Risk, Risk Management and Resilience (especially in a third sector context)
- Public and third sector management
Karlsson, P. S. , Valkama, P. and Asenova, D. (2020) Risk management in Scottish charities: hidden practices and improvement needs in public service partnerships. Voluntary Sector Review, (doi: 10.1332/204080520X15874019623751)
Karlsson, P. S. (2019) Place-based public service delivery: a method to mitigate social risk? Scottish Affairs, 28(2), pp. 177-199. (doi: 10.3366/scot.2019.0276)
Sadlowska, K. M., Karlsson, P. S. and Brown, S. C. (2019) Independent cinema in the digital age: is digital transformation the only way to survival? Economic and Business Review, 21(3), pp. 411-438. (doi: 10.15458/ebr.88)
- ESRC Impact Acceleration Account: Covid-19 Response (2020) funding for the project “Supporting the social economy during Covid-19: The Third Sector KE Collaborative”
- John Robertson Bequest (2020) grant for the project “Understanding and improving management practices within small charities”
- The Case Centre’s Case Writing Scholarship (2020) for the teaching case “When a charity grows: from a community group to a serious organisation”
- Chartered Association of Business Schools Scholarship 2019 for the project “Using a Digital One Minute Paper in business school classes to increase participation and engagement and improve student experience” together with Dr. Paul Ferri and Alison Gibb
Paula has an interest in supervising PhD students engaged in pedagogical research involving Business & Management studies. She is also interested in supervising students wanting to research third and/or public sector management, especially in the areas of risk management, social innovation, social risk, and partnership working.
- Management in the voluntary sector
- Project management
- Service delivery risk & resilience
- Specialist research methods
Professional activities & recognition
Professional & learned societies
- 2017: Technical Specialist (SIRM), Institute of Risk Management (UK)
- 2019: Certified Management & Business Educator (CMBE), Chartered Association of Business Schools
- 2013: Membership, British Academy of Management (BAM)
- 2020: Membership, Academy of Management
- 2013: Membership, International Research Society for Public Management
Paula is currently working on The Collaborative, a third sector knowledge exchange project.
She is also a member of the IRM Charities SIG Working Group on Emerging Risk.