Professor Adina Dudau
- Professor of Public Management (Management)
After quite a series of career shifts (including civil service, as well as private and voluntary sector roles in Romania, Greece and the UK), Adina entered academia in 2005, when she started her PhD in inter-organisational management, followed by a postdoc in the EPSRC project ‘Under dark skies: port cities, extreme events, multi-scale processes and the vulnerability of controls around counter terrorism’. 'She became a lecturer in 2012, and is currently professor of public management. She held research leadership roles (Associate Research Director and PGR Director) in Adam Smith Business School between 2021 and 2022 when she joined SGSSS as Associate Director and Supervistory Engagement Lead.
Adina’s research is highly interdisciplinary and anchored in public management. She draws on several theoretical lenses, including risk and crisis management, complexity theory, positive organisational behaviour and management control. She has published in general management, public management, business education and accounting journals, such as European Management Journal, Public Management Review, Academy of Management Learning and Teaching and Financial Accountability and Management. She is on the board of IRSPM and of the Public and Nonprofit Division of AOM, as well as on the editorial boards of Public Management Review, Public Administration, Public Money & Management, Journal of Public Budgeting, Accounting & Financial Management and Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Administration. Adina led on a number of special issues in some these journals and is associate editor for Public Management review and Journal of Management Inquiry.
Adina is a member of the Human Resource Management and Organisational Behaviour research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Public Management
- Non-profits management
- Accountability, trust and integrity
- Risk & crisis management
- The business of business schools
2023: 'Integrity Management' work package (PI) of 'Bridging the Gaps in Evidence, Regulation & Impact of Anticorruption Policies' Horizon grant
2018: Carnegie Universities Trust research grant to define and measure hybrid accountability (PI)
2014: Scottish Water KTP Award (co-I) 2013: CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) seedcorn grant on the inter-organisational control in public sector partnerships. (PI)
2013: ASRF (Adam Smith Research Foundation) seedcorn grant on management control of public sector partnerships. (PI)
Adina is interested to supervise research in the wider areas of public sector welfare partnerships and hybrid organisations. The following topics are of particular interest:
- Co-production and value co-creation ecosystems in public services
- Integrity management, corruption and misconduct ecosystems
- Management control in public and hybrid organisational settings
- Street-level bureaucracy
Adina is particularly interested in doctoral projects entailing qualitative and experimental methods of enquiry.
- Duke, Richard
Leaderless leadership:The curious case of Black Lives Matter
- Kamal, Novika Grasiaswaty
Algoactivism among Platform Workers: An Attribution Theory Approach
- Lee, Benjamin
Using a Dynamic Capabilities perspective to explore the adoption of AI and Machine Learning for Data Analytics (AIMLDA) in Accounting firms
- Mazid, Tasfia
The Role of Paradoxical Leadership in Influencing Followers to Deal with Multiple Contradictory Demands'
- Rodrigues, André
MANAGEMENT CONTROL SYSTEMS ADAPTATION FOLLOWING CRISIS
- Shaw, Laura
Gender and political leadership in the Scottish Parliament since devolution.
- 2020: ‘Financial rewards and intrinsic motivation: a self-determination perspective’
- 2020: ‘Exploring the relationship between Guanxi and corruption in the Chinese public sector’
- Managing in the public sector (Honours)
- Managing and leading in international contexts (PGT)
- Research methods (UG-PGT-PGR)
- Research skills for managers (PGT)
- Advanced research methods and professional skills (PGR)
Editorial board member
- Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Administration
- Journal of Public Budgeting Accounting and Financial Management
- Public Administration
- Public Management Review
- Public Money & Management
- Public Management Review
- Journal of Management Inquiry
- European Management Journal (from March 2024)