UK VLN Research Activities
All of our members are actively engaged in rotorcraft research, attracting funding from a variety of sources including Aerospace Technology Institute, Horizon 2020 and EPSRC. Activities of UK VLN itself are currently funded by an EPSRC Network Grant, which commenced on 1st April 2015 (EP/M018164/1). As part of the network grant, the UK VLN runs an annual Technical Research Workshop, which provides vertical lift research groups from the member universities the opportuniy to present and discuss their research in a lively but local forum. All members regularly present at international rotorcraft and aerospace science conferences both in Europe and the US and publish their research in worl-leading, peer-reviewed journals.
Recently Funded Research
Recent funding successes within the UK VLN include:
- February 2017: University of Bristol, succeeded in attracting funds via the Horizon 2020 EU programme for a project on rotors with active camber.
- January 2017: "NITROS Network for Innovative Training on Rotorcraft Safety, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action Joint European Doctorate on Rotorcraft Safety", funded under Horizon 2020, with Leonardo Helicopters as partner. The project also has the universities of Glasgow and Liverpool listed as partners.
Upcoming Conference Presentations
Our members are due to present papers at the following international rotorcraft conferences:
- American Helicopter Society Forum 73, 9th-11th May 2017, Fort Worth, Texas
- 43rd European Rotorcraft Forum, 12th-15th September 2017, Milan, Italy
The UK VLN has organised two technical workshops so far, featuring a broad range of vertical lift research. The technical workshops generally take place over two days in a country retreat, giving the network members the opportunity to bond, exchange ideas and ultimately promote the vertical lift research sector.
- 1st Technical Workshop: Nunsmere Hall Hotel, Cheshire, 10th-11th April 2015
- 2nd Technical Workshop: Shrigley Hall Hotel, Cheshire, 9th-10th May 2016
- 3rd Technical Workshop: Shrigley Hall, Cheshire, 22nd-23rd May 2017