Education Policies for Global Development (Erasmus Mundus International Master) IntM
This programme promotes an interdisciplinary and critical approach to education policy analysis for students interested in the field of international cooperation and development. In the context of globalisation, education is more than ever a condition for social inclusion and a sustainable development.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teaching start:
- Monday, 21 September 2020
- Monday, 20 September 2021
- IntM: 24 months full-time
Why this programme
- This interdisciplinary programme draws on theories and methods from comparative education research, education policy analysis and international development studies.
- Mobility periods are designed to maximise a coherent learning experience in different institutional settings and cultures.
- The teaching team combines expertise and research experience in several parts of the world, including South and Central America, South-East Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Arab World, and Western and Eastern Europe.
- Internships with our cooperation partners will offer you the opportunity to acquire professional experience and to develop and apply your practical skills in a real work environment.
- You will have the opportunity to enhance your methodological and analytical skills by developing your own research project and by carrying out fieldwork in a developing context.
- This degree is awarded by a consortium comprised of Autonomous University of Barcelona, University of Glasgow, University of Bremen and University of Cyprus.
Courses in semester 1 are offered by the Autonomous University of Barcelona. In semester 2 you will study at the University of Glasgow or University of Bremen, based on your chosen pathway. In semester 3 you will undertake an internship with one of our cooperation partners and carry out fieldwork in a developing context. A mandatory winter school hosted by the University of Cyprus will take place in January between semester 3 and 4. In semester 4 you will work on your dissertation under staff supervision from one of the partners, dependent on your choice of topic.
Year 1 – semester 1 (September – December)
Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Actors in education and development
- Basic research methods
- Doing research on education and development
- Educational development, poverty and global inequalities
- Global education policies
- Theories of social justice in education.
Year 1 – semester 2 (January – May)
Pathway A: University of Glasgow - International comparative education
- Advanced research methods
- Education and theories of international development
- Researching international and comparative education.
Pathway B: University of Bremen- Global, social and education policies
- Advanced research methods
- Governance and education
- Inequality, education and justice.
Year 2 – semester 3 (September – December)
Winter school (January)
- Hosted by University of Cyprus.
Year 2 - semester 4: (January – July)
- Dissertation (Barcelona/Glasgow/Bremen/Cyprus)
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student contract.
Graduates will be equipped for careers as analysts, consultants, administrators, policy makers and leaders in the design and implementation of education plans, whether in local, regional or national governments, international organisations, NGOs or large-scale education providers operating in developed or developing countries.
Fees & funding
Tuition fees for 2021-22
Please note that applications for Education Policies for Global Development are processed by Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona. For more information about tuition fees please visit the consortium website.
- Fee for re-assessment of a dissertation (PGT programme): £370
- Submission of thesis after deadline lapsed: £350
- Registration/exam only fee: £170
Fee information is subject to change and is for guidance only
Education Policies for Global Development (Erasmus Mundus International Master) Scholarship
Prestigious Erasmus Mundus scholarships are available for well qualified applicants to the Education Policies for Global Development Erasmus Mundus International Master. Autonomous University of Barcelona (Spain) is the leading partner in the consortium of universities that have developed this multiple Masters programme. Other degree awarding partners include The University of Glasgow, University of Bremen and University of Cyprus.
Anne Paterson Scholarship
The scholarship fund has been established since 2018 from a generous legacy left to AoCPP by Anne Wingate Paterson who died in 2016. Anne was a dedicated member of AoCPP and left provision in her will to support an annual award for the study and prevention of child abuse and neglect.
The fund details have been developed with the help and support of Anne’s surviving family, and we are grateful to them. Read more about Anne and the life she dedicated to protecting vulnerable children below.
The scholarship fund has been established to promote the study of child welfare and protection. It provides individuals with the opportunity to pursue postgraduate study at a UK Higher Education Institute in the field of child abuse and/or neglect (CAN). Proposed studies must address one or more of the following:
- identification of CAN;
- research to have an impact of CAN in Scotland;
- effective responses to CAN;
- Prevention of CAN.
Banco de Mexico
The Mexican National Bank (Banco de Mexico) provides special loans for students who wish to undertake a programme of postgraduate study. The University of Glasgow in partnership with Bank of Mexico FIDERH is offering a fee discount to holders of a Bank of Mexico FIDERH loan. See the FIDERH website for further information.
Chevening Scholarships are the UK government's global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding scholars with leadership potential. Awards are typically for a one year Master’s degree at universities across the UK. There are over 50,000 Chevening Alumni around the world who together comprise an influential and highly regarded global network.
Colfuturo Fundacion para el Futuro de Colombia
The University of Glasgow offer discounts to all successful Fundacion para el Futuro de Colombia (Colfuturo) scholars who enrol at the University of Glasgow to complete a postgraduate programme.
CONACyT (Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia) / FUNED Agreement
CONACYT offers a non-refundable scholarship, a monthly stipend and medical insurance of an approximate total of $20,000 USD (in the case of the UK, no medical insurance grant is given since students are already covered by the National Health System) The University of Glasgow offer a 30% discount to all successful CONACyT scholars who enrol at the University of Glasgow to complete a postgraduate programme.
In response to the current unprecedented economic climate, the University is offering a 20% discount on all Postgraduate Research and full Postgraduate Taught Masters programmes to its alumni, commencing study in Academic session 2020/21. This includes University of Glasgow graduates and those who have completed a Study Abroad programme or the Erasmus Programme at the University of Glasgow. The discount applies to all full-time, part-time and online programmes. This discount can be awarded alongside other University scholarships.
CONICyT (La Comsion Nacional de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica de Chile)
The University of Glasgow offers a 25% discount to all successful CONICyT scholars who enrol at the University of Glasgow to complete a postgraduate programme.
The scholarships above are specific to this programme. For more funding opportunities search the scholarships database
2.1 Honours degree or non-UK equivalent in any subject. For full details, including English language requirements, visit the GLOBED consortium website.
How to apply
Applications are handled by the Autonomous University of Barcelona.
- Academic Practice [MEd: Online distance learning available]
- Adult Education for Social Change (Erasmus Mundus International Master) [IntM]
- Adult Education, Community Development & Youth Work [MEd/PgDip]
- Childhood Practice & Leadership [PgDip]
- Children's Literature & Literacies [MEd]