Go Abroad for Summer
Go Abroad for Summer
International summer schools and bespoke short-term programmes offered by our partner institutions are available to full time undergraduate students from all subject backgrounds registered at the University of Glasgow.
Summer schools are a unique opportunity as they offer more flexibility in terms of where and what you study. Courses vary in length from one week to one month so you can apply for any opportunity that fits your schedule and budget. You can:
- Expand on your current subject expertise
- Explore new subjects that are outside the scope of your degree or not offered by the University of Glasgow
- Develop transferable skills for your future career
- Learn or improve on a foreign language.
These opportunities may be of particular interest to those wanting to spend time abroad but who are unable to commit to a semester or full year away.
Your international summer experience can be recorded on your HEAR although you cannot transfer credit earned towards your University of Glasgow degree.
Opportunities available vary year-to-year. Details of summer schools on offer in 2021 will be listed here in December.
Go Abroad Scholarships of £500 each are available to support your attendance at international summer schools offered by our partner institutions.
These awards are intended as a contribution towards your expenses and generally do not cover the full cost of attending an international summer school.
Each year some of our partners offer a limited number of tuition fee waivers for their summer schools. You will still be responsible for covering the cost of your travel and accommodation. More details will be released here once available.
Host institutions may also offer early bird rates or additional scholarships and discounts for students from the University of Glasgow. We will advertise these details on our website where available but you may also like to contact your host to ask what further support you could be eligible for.
How to Apply
Applications for admission to summer schools are handled independently by the host institution. You should check their websites carefully for instructions on eligibility, how to apply, and any relevant deadlines.
Applications for Go Abroad scholarships and tuition fee waivers offered by the University of Glasgow open in January and close mid-March. Please check back later for a link to the application form.
You will be asked to provide a supporting statement outlining your reasons for attending your chosen summer school and a budget outlining your projected expenses. Applications will be ranked according to the strength of information provided.
Decisions on applications will be circulated by early April.
Any student can apply to attend an international summer school, but the following eligibility criteria applies to applications for Go Abroad scholarships and tuition fee waivers:
- Go Abroad scholarships and tuition fee waivers for international summer schools are open to all University of Glasgow undergraduate students except those in their final year
- Only one scholarship or tuition fee waiver awarded per student, per year. Priority will be given to students applying for the first time
- Students who have secured a place on the main Go Abroad exchange programme may apply, but priority will be given to students who have not secured an exchange place or who are applying to go abroad for the first time
- Priority will be given to students applying for summer schools run by our partner institutions.