Erasmus+ traineeships are available to students currently studying at the University of Glasgow who would like to participate in a work placement as an approved and recognised part of their University of Glasgow studies.
Duration is for a semester or full academic year. Some degrees will also support shorter durations.
Which subjects support traineeships?
The subjects listed below support Erasmus Traineeships as they are an integrated part of their degree structure or recognised as relevant work experience in addition to their degree requirements. Applications from all subjects for a summer traineeship will be considered provided they meet the eligibility criteria and have full support of their subject.
- Chemistry (full year, depending on degree path)
- Physics (summer)
- Mathematics (summer)
- School of Modern Languages (full year; 3rd term out for students taking two languages at Joint Honours)
- Psychology (summer)
- Engineering (MEng students; June – December)
- Life Sciences (full year, depending upon degree path)
We currently do not offer the new Erasmus+ option of traineeships for graduates.
Erasmus+ summer traineeship placements are voluntary and do not carry credit towards your degree at University of Glasgow, however the work experience is recognised and recorded on your HEAR. Students who are interested in doing a summer traineeship must seek support from their subject coordinator and ensure the content of the placement is relevant to your degree.
What areas can I work in?
Your traineeship can normally be a lab placement or a project in any of the following environments:
- a vocational education school / institute / centre
- a public or private, a small, medium or large enterprise (including social enterprises)
- a social partner or other representative of working life, including chambers of commerce, craft / professional associations and trade unions
- a public body at local, regional or national level
- a research institute
- a foundation
- a school / institute / educational centre
- a non-profit organisation, association, NGO
- any other appropriate host organisation as confirmed and approved by your subject coordinator
Which countries can I undertake a traineeship in?
You can complete an Erasmus+ traineeship in any of the participating Erasmus+ EU and non-EU programme countries.
Regardless of environment/activity, your host must be a formally registered enterprise/institution in the country to which you are going.
Will I receive funding?
Selected students will receive Erasmus+ grant funding as a contribution to living and travel costs.