Tall image of student with parchmentThe certificate you receive contains:

  • your primary name, as recorded in your student record,
  • the type of award (certificate, diploma, degree),
  • the classification of the award (if appropriate).

The certificate is often referred to as a "parchment" and will have the University seal affixed.

Name on parchment

Your degree/diploma certificate will be printed with your name shown in the following format:

  • First/given name(s)
  • Middle name(s), then
  • Family name/surname unless you ask us to put your family name/surname first.   

If you request your family name/surname first your name will be shown in the following format:

  • Family name/surname
  • First/given name(s), then
  • Middle name(s)

Your parchment will print your Primary Name as recorded in your student record.    

Your Primary Name

Please ensure that your Primary Name is correctly recorded in your student record.

To make any changes to your Primary Name you must contact the Student Services Enquiry Team (SSET) before the enrolment deadline as you are unable to amend this via your MyCampus record.

Your Primary Name in your student record should be the same as that on an officially recognised form of identification document such as:

  • Your birth, adoption or marriage certificate,
  • Passport,
  • Driving licence,
  • National identity card or
  • Other legal document.

Using a different version of your name may cause you difficulty in the future in proving that the certificate is yours.

Changing your name on parchment

Once you receive your certificate it is not possible to amend your name. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where:

  • an administrative error has occurred and is notified to Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of your graduation date or
  • change is required under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

Replacement parchments

If your degree parchment is lost, stolen or damaged and you graduated in Academic Session 1988/89 onwards you may obtain a replacement. If you graduated before this date and require confirmation of your degree you should apply for a Certifying Letter.

Replacement Cost:

  • £50 per parchment
  • Acceptable payments: Credit/Debit Card or Cheque made payable to the "University of Glasgow"
Please note: replacement parchments cannot be issued until payment has been received or if you graduated before Academic Session 1988/89.
How to apply:
  • Send it to the address below with payment (unless paying by telephone).  If paying by credit/debit card please include a completed payment form (Payment form (pdf))

Student Services Enquiry Team
The Fraser Building
65 Hillhead Street
Glasgow      G12 8QQ
  • Alternatively, visit the Student Services Enquiry Desk on Level 2 of the Fraser Building and complete a Replacement Parchment application in person.

Please note: We cannot accept payment forms by email because they contain sensitive financial information.


Normally replacements can be prepared within 10 working days from the receipt of the application or processing of payment where applicable.

During graduation diets, the preparation time will be 15 working days-

  • Summer - end of May until 7 July   
  • Winter - end of October until 7 December 
Changes of name:

Once your certificate has been issued it is not possible to amend your name.  The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred and has been notified to the Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of graduation or where we are required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or educational institution that your degree certificate belongs to you, supporting documentation showing the name change should accompany the certificate.