The certificate you receive contains:
- your primary name, as recorded in your student record,
- the type of award (certificate, diploma, degree),
- the classification of the award (if appropriate).
The certificate is often referred to as a "parchment" and will have the University seal affixed.
Name on parchment
Your degree/diploma certificate will be printed with your name shown in the following format:
- First/given name(s)
- Middle name(s), then
- Family name/surname unless you ask us to put your family name/surname first.
If you request your family name/surname first your name will be shown in the following format:
- Family name/surname
- First/given name(s), then
- Middle name(s)
Your parchment will print your Primary Name as recorded in your student record.
Your Primary Name
Please ensure that your Primary Name is correctly recorded in your student record.
To make any changes to your Primary Name you must contact the Student Services Enquiry Team (SSET) before the enrolment deadline as you are unable to amend this via your MyCampus record.
Your Primary Name in your student record should be the same as that on an officially recognised form of identification document such as:
- Your birth, adoption or marriage certificate,
- Driving licence,
- National identity card or
- Other legal document.
Using a different version of your name may cause you difficulty in the future in proving that the certificate is yours.
Changing your name on parchment
Once you receive your certificate it is not possible to amend your name. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where:
- an administrative error has occurred and is notified to Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of your graduation date or
- change is required under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.
If your degree parchment is lost, stolen or damaged and you graduated in Academic Session 1988/89 onwards you may obtain a replacement. If you graduated before this date and require confirmation of your degree you should apply for a Certifying Letter.
|How to apply:||
Please note: We cannot accept payment forms by email because they contain sensitive financial information.
Normally replacements can be prepared within 10 working days from the receipt of the application or processing of payment where applicable.
|Changes of name:||
Once your certificate has been issued it is not possible to amend your name. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where an administrative error has occurred and has been notified to the Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of graduation or where we are required to make a retrospective change under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.