Degree certificates (parchments)

Your degree certificate is often referred to as a parchment and will have the University seal affixed.

The certificate you receive contains:

  • your primary name, as recorded in your student record
  • the type of award (certificate, diploma, degree)
  • the classification of the award (if appropriate)

Name on parchment

Your degree certificate will be printed with your name shown in the following format:

  • First/given name(s)
  • Middle name(s), then
  • Family name/surname unless you ask us to have your family name/surname shown first (you can do this when you enrol to graduate) 

If you request your family name/surname to be shown first, your name will be shown in the following format:

  • Family name/surname
  • First/given name(s), then
  • Middle name(s)

Your parchment will print your primary name as recorded in your student record.    

Your primary name

Please ensure that your primary name is correctly recorded in your student record.

To make any changes to your primary name: you must contact the Student Services Enquiry Team (SSET) before the enrolment deadline as you are unable to amend this via your MyCampus record.

Your primary name in your student record should be the same as that on an officially recognised form of identification document such as:

  • Your birth, adoption or marriage certificate
  • Passport
  • Driving licence
  • National identity card
  • Other legal document

Using a different version of your name may cause you difficulty in the future in proving that the certificate is yours.

Changing your name on a parchment

Once you receive your certificate it is not possible to amend your name. The only retrospective changes that can be made are where:

  • an administrative error has occurred and is notified to Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of your graduation date, or
  • change is required under the provisions of the Gender Recognition Act 2004

Replacement parchments

Change to normal service

We sincerely regret that due to current exceptional circumstances and the limitations and challenges of staff working out of office we are currently unable to produce replacement degree parchments.

The Student Services Enquiry Team may be able to provide you with a certified letter confirming your award.  However, due to the aforementioned restrictions the Student Services Enquiry Team are only able to produce unstamped digital documents until further notice.

We will provide any update to this service as soon as possible.

General Replacement Parchment Information

If your degree parchment is lost, stolen or damaged and you graduated in academic session 1988/89 onwards, you may obtain a replacement. If you graduated before this date and require confirmation of your degree you should apply for a Certifying Letter.

Parchment design - On 21st October 2019, the design of our degree parchments, diplomas and certificates changed.  From this date onwards, we are no longer able to issue A3 sized degree parchments.  All replacement documents issued will be in the newly designed A4 format. 

Replacement Cost:

  • £50 per parchment
  • Please note: replacement parchments cannot be issued until payment has been received or if you graduated before Academic Session 1988/89.
How to apply:

Payment Options:

  • By credit/debit card: Telephone +44 (0)141 330 7000.  (Please Note: No payments can be taken after 4pm).   The University does not accept American Express or Diners Club.)
  • By cheque: payable to 'University of Glasgow', by post or in person at the Student Services Enquiry Desk - (Please note: No payments can be taken after 4pm).
  • By cash: in person at the Student Services Enquiry Desk - (Please Note: No payments can be taken after 4pm)  Please do not send cash in the post.
  • By post: Using this Payment Form - send to  Student Services Enquiry Team, University of Glasgow, Fraser Building, Glasgow, G12 8QQ  (Payment forms cannot be submitted by email).
  • Please note: We cannot accept payment forms by email because they contain sensitive financial information.


Normally replacements can be prepared within 10 working days from the receipt of the application or processing of payment where applicable.

During graduation diets, the preparation time will be 15 working days-

  • Summer - end of May until 7 July   
  • Winter - end of October until 7 December 
Changes of name:

Once your certificate has been issued it is not possible to amend your name.  The only retrospective changes that can be made are where

  • an administrative error has occurred and has been notified to the Registry Graduation Team within three calendar months of graduation, or
  • a change is required under the Gender Reassignment provisions of the Equality Act 2010.  In this case please email us at  To verify your identity, we will ask for identification in your new chosen name, such as deed poll, passport, or drivers licence.  For doctorates or if you have a dissertation stored at the library, we will notify them of any changes to names to ensure that this change can be reflected to ensure consistency of records.  When contacting us to request your new parchment, please specifically state if you do not want us to do this.

    If you have changed your name following completion of your course of study, (for example, through marriage, or by Deed Poll), and wish to demonstrate to a prospective employer or educational institution that your degree certificate belongs to you, supporting documentation showing the name change should accompany the certificate.