Frequently Asked Questions

What is an AVC?

AVC stands for Additional Voluntary Contributions. These are contributions you can make to boost your pension income upon retirement and there are two options available.

Added Years AVC's - this option allows you to buy additional years' membership in the scheme and provides an increase to your annual pension and tax free lump sum.

Money Purchase AVC's - this option allows you to make additional payments to build up a separate fund for your retirement.

Both schemes offer tax relief at source (subject to HMRC limits) just like your current pension contributions.

What is the PAYE ref no?

The University of Glasgow's HM Revenue & Customs Employers Tax Reference Number is 961/3201755.

Why have I been taxed when I am a student?

Even students have to pay tax when their earnings reach specified thresholds. To ensure you pay the correct amount of tax make sure you have completed a P46 and delivered to Payroll.

Why have I been taxed when I am self employed?

We will tax all payments to individuals unless expressly told by HMRC not to. Please visit Self Employment for further details.

Shouldn't I earn £11.5k before I pay tax?

Typically your tax free allowance for 2017/18 is £11,500. However, you are allocated 1/12th of the £11,500 each month and you pay tax on the remainder. The tax year runs April to March and your allowance is re-set each April.


Taxable Pay = £1,500.00

Tax free allowance = £958.33 (£11,500 ÷ 12)

Net Taxable Pay = £541.67

Tax Due = £108.33 (£541.67 x 20%)

How do I get a National Insurance Number?

If you're moving to the UK

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

You need to apply by phone for a National Insurance number.

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0345 600 0643
Textphone: 0345 600 0644
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Welsh language: 0345 602 1491
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm

Can I change the bank account to which my wages are paid?

Yes, simply log in to the University's HR/Payroll system and choose CorePay.

When are we paid this month?

Payday is the final banking day of every month. December is quite often an exception and the University may choose to pay earlier.

The form I am using asks me for an account number and project code, where do I get this from?

Your departmental administrator should be able to provide you with this information.

Who can authorise my expenses claims?

Expenses should always be authorised by your line manager/Head of Department. Your authoriser needs to be sufficiently senior to you that they can refuse your claim.

Where should I send my sicklines?

Your sicklines should be sent to your departmental administrator/line manager.

Why has my salary has been reduced for sick pay, as I have been back at work for ages?

Sick pay notification from departments is based on the previous calendar month. So if you resumed from long term sickness at the beginning of January there may still be a sick pay adjustment in your February salary.

How much is the mileage rate?

Mileage rates for University of Glasgow employees is 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter.

How much is the subsistance rate?

The rates set out below are maximum rates, if you spend less than these rates you should claim what you actually spend.

Maximum Daily Rate (A)
Employees may claim up to a maximum of £20 per day for each day on which they purchase snacks, meals, etc. whilst away from both home and their normal place of work, in instances where there is no requirement for an overnight stay.

Maximum Daily Rate (B)
Employees may claim up to a maximum of £60 for each day on which they purchase meals, snacks, etc. whilst away from both home and their normal place of work, provided there is a requirement for an overnight stay.

Please note that these amounts are not allowances, but are the maximum amounts that can be claimed, including VAT (except for the costs of overnight accommodation). Receipts must be provided in support of claims for subsistence costs where it would be reasonable to expect a supplier to provide them.

What rate of pay can I expect for overtime working?

This depends on your category of staff. In general, Monday - Saturday is paid at time and a half once you have exceeded the conditioned hours for the post and overtime worked on a Sunday is paid at double time.

What about Public Holidays?

If you work a Public Holiday you will be paid an additional payment at plain time plus a day off in lieu. If you work overtime, i.e. you have exceed the conditioned hours for the job for that week then you will be paid at double time.

What is the full payroll office address?

Our address is:

        Payroll Section
        Finance Office (Tay House)
        University of Glasgow
        G12 8QQ

Who deals with my department?

Please see Contact us for details of how to contact the Pay & Pensions Section.

I'm leaving in the middle of the month, when will I get paid and receive my P45?

You will receive your final pay as normal on the last banking day of the month. You will receive your P45 on this day also.

I am an Academic member of staff and have worked overtime, do I get paid for this?

No, only staff up to and including Grade 5 qualify for overtime payments, regardless of which Job Family they belong to.