Important change to University Travel Policy
Due to the unregulated status of Airbnb accommodation, the University has taken the decision to prohibit all future bookings through this accommodation provider. This change in policy is effective from 19 September 2022.
The University has a commitment to provide adequate duty of care and regulated accommodation provision to all staff and students on business travel, field trips or research work on behalf of the University, concluding this is compromised as Airbnb accommodation:
- is unregulated and may not meet basis safety standards
- does not offer 24 hours assistance to our travellers in the event of a cancellation or an emergency
- some research funders do not allow the use of Airbnb.
Airbnb accommodation booked before 19 September 2022 will not be affected by this change and will be allowed.
For all future bookings, we can share the launch of an improved service, from the University Travel provider Selective Travel, which provides the flexibility to book apartments for those staff and students that require longer-stay apartment style accommodation, whilst travelling on university business. This enhanced service is available to book through two new regulated apartment options.
- com apartments are a regulated global network of apartments offering an online booking platform enabling you to search for accommodation requirements and book via the Selective Travel Hub accessed through the University Travel Hub. To search for apartments, simply type “Apartment” into Search by Hotel name option on the left side of your screen for a drop down of options when using the Hub.
- Staysitu (SITU) provide a regulated global network of serviced apartments, corporate housing, and extended stay aparthotels. They work in partnership with Travel Management Companies, offering significant coverage across the world. Find out more about their locations: https://www.staysitu.com/our-locations. Bookings for SITU can be made via email or telephone booking with Selective’s Dedicated Travel Team.
Full details and information on the University’s Travel Policy, Staff Expenses Policy, and Student Expenses policy are available online.
First published: 26 August 2022