Faith and the First World War Conference
Published: 11 July 2016
A University conference later this month will examine the role religious faith played during the First World War. It will be followed by a commemoration of the 1916 Women's Peace Crusade march in Glasgow.
The Faith and the First World War conference will take place at the University of Glasgow 21-22 July, and will be followed by the launch of Forward! commemorating the centenary of the 1916 Women’s Peace Crusade march in Glasgow.
The conference will explore the huge diversity and significance of religious faith for those who experienced the First World War, addressing themes such as faith in the armed forces and on the home front, religion, war resistance and the peace crusade, and the role of religion in remembrance.
- Michael Snape, From Flanders to Helmand: Chaplaincy, Faith and Religious Change in the British Army, 1914-2014
- Stewart J. Brown, The Scottish and Irish Reformed Churches and the First World War
- Jo Moffett-Levy, Anti-Jewish imagery in a WW1 memorial: the stations of the cross in an Oxford church
- Katarzyna Stoklosa, Catholicism and patriotism in Eastern European Countries during WWI: the example of Poland
- Gerhard Besier, Harmonizing conflicting demands and emotions: Christian believers during WWI
- Cyril Pearce, Communities of Resistance: New thoughts on Britain’s 1914-1918 war resisters
- Andrew Mein, A God Fit for Heroes? The Mobilization of the Old Testament in First World War Germany
- Lesley Orr, “If Christ could be militant, so could I”: Helen Crawfurd and the Women’s Peace Crusade, 1916–18
Throughout 2016 a group of citizen researchers has been exploring the women involved in the 1916 peace crusade. On 23 July the group will lead a guided walk from Glasgow Green to the Glasgow Women’s Library, where they will launch a special exhibition and film screening.
For more information
- Conference contact: email@example.com
- Conference website: Faith and the First World War
- Register for the guided walk: Forward! Remembering Women Peace Crusaders: Launch Event
- Watch film trailer: March
- Visit: Glasgow Women's Library
First published: 11 July 2016